Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I just purchased an HP 15-f039wm laptop which comes with 4GB memory.  I would like to increase memory to 8GB.  Can I replace the 4GB stick with an 8GB memory stick?  What is the maximum memory that this laptop will support.  Thanks very much for your help and support.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

No you can't as indicated:  "One SODIMM non-customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slot (Pentium, Celeron processors)" and your machine uses "2.16GHz Intel Celeron N2830 Processor with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.41GHz" processor as shown:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04353717

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi,

No you can't as indicated:  "One SODIMM non-customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slot (Pentium, Celeron processors)" and your machine uses "2.16GHz Intel Celeron N2830 Processor with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.41GHz" processor as shown:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04353717

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you.....I thought that might be the case but the specs (link that you sent me) state "Memory Slots:  1 user accessible" and  I thought it might be possible to add memory or remove the 4GB and insert an 8GB stick.

Thank you for your assistance.

HP Recommended

http://ark.intel.com/products/81071/Intel-Celeron-Processor-N2830-1M-Cache-up-to-2_41-GHz?q=N2830

The specs on the processor inside. States the board has 2 memory channels....

Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 8 GB Memory Types DDR3L-1333 # of Memory Channels 2

So.....what's the REAL answer?

HP Recommended

memory.jpg

I opened up the back of the notebook and saw this. This is a 4gb stick, with an identical slot right next to it. This slot however seems to have none of the clips to support a second stick. So is this slot just nothing now then? And if so, is their by chance an 8gb version of the stick pictured there? Offered by HP or otherwise?

Thanks

HP Recommended

You made a separate post on just this picture and I answered. You should know you have already lost the warranty getting in to where you can take the picture but yes, you can put an 8 gig module in the place where the 4 gig is now.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Hardware-Upgrades-Replacements/Memory-question/m-p/4674784#M45737

HP Recommended

If that voids your warranty, then no one should ever purchase HP again. Dell and Lenovo have no issue with you upgrading your memory. 

HP Recommended

HP is not the only one doing this. The problem as far as the warranty is concerned is not replacing the memory it is all the work you have to do to get there. Since I posted that in November we have received clarification that HP will not void the warranty just because you remove the top cover. However, if you damage it in the process you are on your own,  

HP Recommended

The "work" to get to the memory is simply to unscrew the 2 screws that hold down the vented panel in the middle of the bottom.  You do NOT get to the memory from the top.  Turn the laptop over and simply unscrew the vented panel covering the memory.  The memory is held in with standard memory spring clips on the side. 

The computer works PERFECTLY with an 8Gb chip (replaces the 4Gb that came with the laptop), and I've not had a single problem.  I took care to make sure that I used a SODIMM chip that had the exact same characteristics (speed and cycle times) and specs as the 4Gb stick that came with the computer.

Thanks for everyone's help with this task.

HP Recommended

I ordered an 8gb memory stick from Crucial, who said it was a compatible stick.  I installed it and nothing.   I put the original 4gb stick back and it works just fine.   Where did you get the compatible 8gb?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.