cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
wolfheim
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

HP 650 laptop memory test failure

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I'm trying to fix a HP 650 notebook. I can log in to windows and do stuff but sometimes the laptop freezes, or the screen goes blank and nothing happens. So I did some hardware diagnostic to search for the bad hardware component. All the hardware diagnostic went fine, except the RAM memory test.

Whenever I start a memory test (through HP diagnostic tool, or simply using bios  memory test) the screen turns like this:

memtest.jpg

I have tried the memtest with another RAM ( which defo works in another laptop), but the result is the same.

Anyone had similar problem like this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ub6424
Level 9
3,859 3,841 214 366
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @wolfheim 

@wolfheim wrote:

Is it possible that the motherboard is faulty?

As I said before, your onboard GPU (graphics processing unit) is defective , not the CPU !

best regards

---

Dear Community Member, please click the button [ YES ] on "Was this reply helpful?" to say Thanks and

make it easier for other people to find this type of solution by marking the reply ▶️ [ Accept as Solution ] ◀️

Do this on the post I wrote that helped solve it.

Thank you very much

⌨️

View solution in original post

1 person found this reply helpful
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
5 REPLIES 5
ub6424
Level 9
3,859 3,841 214 366
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @wolfheim 

connect external monitor ( hdmi, d-sub vga ) to see if you get a readable external screen, if not your GPU (internal graphic chip is dead).

Please report your results.

best regards

---

Dear Community Member, please click the YES button on "Was this reply helpful?" to say Thanks and

make it easier for other people to find this type of solution by marking the reply 'Accept as Solution'.

Thank you very much 

ub6424_0-1655655414260.png

wolfheim
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Dear Ub6424!

I tested what you suggested. And yes, the laptop is unable to use external monitor. I tried VGA and HDMI, the result is the same,  I got a red message, that I should reinstall the graphic driver, or replace VGA. 

So I'll switch the CPU with integrated GPU when I can.

ub6424
Level 9
3,859 3,841 214 366
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @wolfheim 

your GPU is defective.

Please report your results.

best regards

---

Dear Community Member, please click the YES button on "Was this reply helpful?" to say Thanks and

make it easier for other people to find this type of solution by marking the reply 'Accept as Solution'.

Thank you very much 

ub6424_0-1655846166993.png

wolfheim
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello!

I have changed the CPU of the laptop and have the same problem when I run RAM test. It's an Intel Celeron 1000M with integrated GPU (Intel HD).

It worked perfectly in an another laptop.

ub6424
Level 9
3,859 3,841 214 366
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @wolfheim 

@wolfheim wrote:

As I said before, your onboard GPU (graphics processing unit) is defective , not the CPU !

best regards

---

Dear Community Member, please click the button [ YES ] on "Was this reply helpful?" to say Thanks and

make it easier for other people to find this type of solution by marking the reply ▶️ [ Accept as Solution ] ◀️

Thank you very much

⌨️

1 person found this reply helpful
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation