Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi everybody,

I would like to change the HDD in my HP DV6T Select Edition, Product # XC102AV that I bought back in December 2010 for a SSD, possibly the Samsung 840 EVO (2.5", either 250GB or 500GB SATA III).

I have not been able to find out if my system is compatible with SATA III.

Can you please help me, will the Samsung SSD work using a SATA II speed or SATA III speed?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@thesuperman21 wrote:

Thank you so much for your response!  The processor I have is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-580M Dual Core Processor (2.66GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.33GHz.

Here is the whole system, if it helps at all:

• • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
  • • System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
  • • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-580M Dual Core Processor (2.66GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.33GHz
  • • 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 switchable graphics [HDMI, VGA] - For Dual Core Processors
  • • FREE Upgrade to 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
  • • 640GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
  • • No Additional Office Software
  • • No additional security software
  • • 9 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (over-sized)
  • • 15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768)
  • • TouchScreen with HP TouchSmart's intuitive multi-touch applications (includes HP TrueVision Webcam)
  • • Blu-ray writer & SuperMulti DVD burner
  • • Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth
  • • Backlit Keyboard with Fingerprint Reader
  • • HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

If you don't mind confirming that it is SATA II for me, I really appreciate it!  Thanks again!!

Steve

I have found a review for this laptop so I know the specs. The first SATA III supported laptops from HP are Dv6-6000 series, Sandy Bridge which is the second Intel generation of the processors. It starts with Core iX-2XXX. Means your laptop is definitely a SATA II one. I have had it so I know it for sure.

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@thesuperman21 wrote:

Hi everybody,

I would like to change the HDD in my HP DV6T Select Edition, Product # XC102AV that I bought back in December 2010 for a SSD, possibly the Samsung 840 EVO (2.5", either 250GB or 500GB SATA III).

I have not been able to find out if my system is compatible with SATA III.

Can you please help me, will the Samsung SSD work using a SATA II speed or SATA III speed?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Steve

Hi,

This laptop has the first generation Intel processor in it. Means it supports only SATA II but SATA III drive should work (SATA II speed) on the laptop too. I have had a Dv6-2000 series Core i7-720QM and a SATA III Corsair GT 240 worked well on it. Your laptop is probably a Dv6-3000 series but the chipset is the same. 

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your response!  The processor I have is Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-580M Dual Core Processor (2.66GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.33GHz.

• • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-580M Dual Core Processor (2.66GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.33GHz
  • • 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 switchable graphics [HDMI, VGA] - For Dual Core Processors
  • • 15.6" diagonal High Definition LED HP Brightview Widescreen Display (1366x768)
  • • TouchScreen with HP TouchSmart's intuitive multi-touch applications (includes HP TrueVision Webcam)

If you don't mind confirming that it is SATA II for me, I really appreciate it!  Thanks again!!

Steve

HP Recommended

@thesuperman21 wrote:

Steve

I have found a review for this laptop so I know the specs. The first SATA III supported laptops from HP are Dv6-6000 series, Sandy Bridge which is the second Intel generation of the processors. It starts with Core iX-2XXX. Means your laptop is definitely a SATA II one. I have had it so I know it for sure.

HP Recommended

Very nice!!  So, if you were going to upgrade to a SSD, would you go for the Samsung 840 EVO, Corsair Force GT, or something else?

HP Recommended

@thesuperman21 wrote:

Very nice!!  So, if you were going to upgrade to a SSD, would you go for the Samsung 840 EVO, Corsair Force GT, or something else?

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/best-ssd-group-test

That Crucial M550 is not bad. I have got a Samsung Pro but they say that Evo is the best over all. I would consider those two Samsungs and the cheaper one wins.:)

HP Recommended

Thank you again pepe!  I am really considering the 840 EVO 500GB!  It will be the first time that I do any real modification to my system.  I look forward to the improvement, though it is already pretty fast as it is having 8GB of RAM.  Ha.  I will probably do a full reboot to factory settings on the system to start it from scratch to get rid of any bugs I may have.  I have not done that before either.  Ha.  I just wish I could get the full benefit of the drive of 6 Gb/s but the increase to 3Gb/s will be a good improvement from what I have now, I'm sure.  Any other recommendations you have for me?  I don't know a ton about this stuff.  Just enough to get myself in trouble.  Ha.

HP Recommended

@thesuperman21 wrote:

Thank you again pepe!  I am really considering the 840 EVO 500GB!  It will be the first time that I do any real modification to my system.  I look forward to the improvement, though it is already pretty fast as it is having 8GB of RAM.  Ha.  I will probably do a full reboot to factory settings on the system to start it from scratch to get rid of any bugs I may have.  I have not done that before either.  Ha.  I just wish I could get the full benefit of the drive of 6 Gb/s but the increase to 3Gb/s will be a good improvement from what I have now, I'm sure.  Any other recommendations you have for me?  I don't know a ton about this stuff.  Just enough to get myself in trouble.  Ha.

I would prefer a fresh install instead of the factory reset using the recovery disks.  There is not a huge difference between a SATA II and III system in speed when using the SSD. Well, at least I haven't noticed anything extraordinary when I got a new laptop and put a SATA III SSD in it. It actually seems to me that a Windows 7 fresh install was quicker on the SATA II system.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248995/how-to-install-windows-7-without-the-disc.html

HP Recommended

I bought a Samsung EVO 860, 1Tb, which is a SATA-3 interface and it is working perfectly in my HP Pavilion DV6-6153CA. It improved the performance a lot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.