Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
diesel2k2
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP ENVY 17t will not start after installing add-on HDD and gives flashing power button

HP ENVY - 17t-ce100 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After receiving my SATA cable/connector,  I installed a new 2TB FireCuda SHDD exactly as instructed in the Maintenance and Service Guide HP ENVY 17m Laptop PC which is what is listed for my device.  When I tried to power on, the device failed to start up and gave only a flashing power button. As soon as I disconnected the cable, the device started perfectly. 
To prove it was not the SHDD, I dropped it into my dock and after a rescan, windows found the drive and it connects no problem. 
With the disk back in the laptop, reconnect the cable and bam, same exact problem. Power on, the device failed to start up and gave only a flashing power button.  Product number: 6UX02AV
Anyone know what to change before I shutdown so that this restarts correctly with the new disk connected?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
18,032 18,021 1,195 1,853
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP ENVY 17t will not start after installing add-on HDD and gives flashing power button

@diesel2k2,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that the computer is not booting to Windows when you connect the second hard drive.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Do you have an operating system installed on both the hard drives?

Meanwhile, I recommend you connect only the new 2TB hard drive and try booting the computer and check.

Also, check whether both the hard drives are getting detected in the BIOS.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
diesel2k2
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@The_Fossette wrote:

@diesel2k2,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that the computer is not booting to Windows when you connect the second hard drive.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Do you have an operating system installed on both the hard drives?

Meanwhile, I recommend you connect only the new 2TB hard drive and try booting the computer and check.

Also, check whether both the hard drives are getting detected in the BIOS.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

I did not have an OS on both drives, but the 2TB was formatted and recognized by the ENVY when connected with a dock.
The HDD failed Segate's SMART test and they are replacing it at this time. However, I am only installing the 2TB HDD as a storage location, not as a boot or OS drive.

I actually did remove the SSD and check to see if the computer would even boot but, no, the HDD was faulty.

The Bios detection will not be an option until I get a replacement SHDD from Seagate and I can try again.

Thank you for your attention to this post.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
18,032 18,021 1,195 1,853
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@diesel2k2,

You're welcome.

Please check with the new hard drive and I am positive that it should work fine.

Post your results, as I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

Good day!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
diesel2k2
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As absolutely amazing as it sounds, I received the replacement drive from Seagate and it too was DOA.  Now I am waiting for a third drive to be shipped and hopefully, it will provide a solution to the issue at hand.  
Is there anyone who can confirm that these computers, HP ENVY - 17t-ce100 CTO, can accept HDD's greater than 1TB?  HP tech suggested that might be a problem, but to me, that sounds ludicrous as this top of the line machine should easily support mass storage options for HDD or SSD.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
7,466 7,470 681 796
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @diesel2k2

The Hard Drives mentioned in the Service Guides are tested with your computer. 

HP does not recommend upgrading or downgrading hardware parts or software that is bundled with the product as It may affect the manufacturer's warranty and performance, however, you could change the configuration at your own discretion.

Thanks!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation