Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Notebook 17t-u000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP ENVY Notebook 17t-u000 CTO with an I7-7700 cpu. Windows 11 tool says my cpu is not supported. Why?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@KenP11 

Why ? You have to ask Microsoft. I've got 8 Windows 10 machines, 4 can't run Windows 11 (including Microsoft Surface's). I can't afford to buy 4 new machines now, I have to replace one by one later.

Please check the following topic

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-inte...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi, @KenP11 

This does not necessarily mean you can't install W11 on your PC, but you would have to perform a clean install and reinstall all of your programs and files.

If you want to see if W11 works on your PC, you can make a bootable W11 USB installer from the link below.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows11

See this article.  3rd headline from the bottom.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-windows-11-how-to-get-it-now-or-later/?ftag=TREc64629f&bhid...

If for some reason, W11 does not work correctly on your PC, you can reinstall W10.

I currently have W11 clean installed on two PC's that I have, that do not meet the requirements for the W11 upgrade and they both work fine on W11 so far.

I used the free Macrium Reflect software to make system images of the W10 installation before I installed W11.

You may want to do the same. 

Make a system image using Macrium reflect, and if W11 doesn't work right, you can easily go back to your current W10 installation.

You save the image on a portable hard drive and the software will have you make a bootable USB flash drive or DVD you boot from to access the system image stored on the portable hard drive.

Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition

You want the file listed on the left side of the webpage under the Backup at Home section.

HP Recommended

Every reply so far says you can still install and run w11. Given my  i7 -7700, w11 should run fine. The processor is more than capable. So, my question remains. Why isn’t it supported? Do you think that in time it will be added to the supported list. Is it just a matter of waiting?

HP Recommended

There is no indication that Microsoft plans to lower the requirements at this time.

It would be nice if Microsoft reconsidered their decision.

I have a nice Dell Optiplex 7050 MT PC with the i7-7700 processor and I would love to see Microsoft relax the requirements.

But if they don't I will probably clean install W11 on that PC like I did the other two.

Yesterday was Microsoft's 'Patch Tuesday,' and I had heard about the possibility that Microsoft would not offer the monthly security updates to PC's that did not meet the W11 hardware requirements.

Both of my non-supported W11 PC's got the all of the security updates yesterday, so that is good news.

I have a HP x360-15-ee047nr that meets the W11 requirements, so I know what W11 updates came to that PC to check.

HP Recommended

Thank you.  Increasing the list of CPU’s that could validly be supported would be to everyone’s benefit: MS, software developers, PC manufacturers, and end users, the whole community.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.