Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 dr1011dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello everyone,

My laptop is not charging when connected to the regular charging port and the charging LED does not come on either.

Here is what I have done to try to fix the issue:

1. I made sure that the AC cable was plugged into the wall and the laptop correctly.

2. I tried a different AC cable that works with my model of laptop and is known to be functioning.

3. I tried to use a USB-C cable to charge the laptop via USB-C charging cable.

4. Opened up the laptop and disconnected the battery, pressed power button for 15 sec, reconnected the battery.

5. Removed the charging port cable from the mother board and re-seated the cable.

6. inspected the battery, charging port cable, and charging cable for damage.

So far everything I have tried has been unsuccessful and I have not been able to try reinstalling the AC / Battery drivers or update BIOS since the laptop is now totally drained and will not power on.

My thought is that the power port cable that connects to the motherboard is damaged and I will have to replaced it due to the fact that the LED is not coming on and that the laptop will no charge at all.

Any additional insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

So its not just that it will not charge it also will not turn on even with the AC adapter attached?

HP Recommended

Yes, the computer will not turn on even with the AC adapter attached. Both with the battery in the machine and without the battery in the machine.

HP Recommended

It could be the charging port but more likely the motherboard. 

HP Recommended

That was my other thought although I was hoping it wouldn't be that. The PC was working fine until the battery completely drained. It would boot up normally and everything was working the way it should. the only problem was just the fact that it was not charging. Nor will it boot off of AC power now.

HP Recommended

Well by removing the battery you essentially did a hard reset so that is not likely to do any good. Its very hard to know other than by trial and error replacement of the jack if its the AC jack module or the motherboard without some pretty advanced diagnostic skills and equipment. And in some cases the AC jack is soldered to the motherboard so essentially if the jack is bad the motherboard is, too. In your case the power jack is a separate replaceable part:

(6)Power connector cable L53538-001

Service Manual 

See pp. 49-50 for replacement instructions. 

HP Parts Store does not offer the cable but it is cheap on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233550655769?hash=item3660b43119:g:G8QAAOSw4HFedR0J

If you can do the work yourself it would be worth a try to see if replacing it fixes anything. It could also perhaps be the power button board, by the way. These are unlikely scenarios, but not impossible. Usually this kind of issue turns out to be the motherboard

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.