Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP EX920 M.2 512GB PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 3D TLC NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) 2YY46AA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I received new NVMe SSD, EX920 the day before yesterday from Newegg.com.

I installed it into my laptop and it works quite well.

However, when I check the temperature in SMART tool, I can always see 54 degrees of celsius. No change temperature!

In my view, the thermal sensor was broken for the first time or the firmware(SVN139B) has something wrong.

How can I handle this problem?

51 REPLIES 51
HP Recommended

@ohnggni

Welcome to HP forums, I see that getting issues in a graphics card temperature monitoring tool.

HP does not recommend to use Third party measuring apps as they are not tested by HP and may not be accurate. 

Meanwhile, run an extensive test to check for any hardware failures:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey Sandy. I downloaded the software mentioned (I am having the same problem where the drive only reads 54 degrees all the time) and it says only HP devices are supported which this drive is! Is there any other software that would work? I would like to test my drive before my return period is up.

HP Recommended

Hi OP, I have the same issue!

All monitoring softwares only register a constant 54 degrees!

HP, is this defective?

HP Recommended

Also very interested in official HP response. This is definitely not an isolated case or user error. Many individuals are reporting the same issue. Please advise.

HP Recommended

Hi Sandy,

Doesnt seem to be a 3rd part software issue. All other drives read fine. The actual value reported by S.M.A.R.T. is pegged at 54 deg C as OP noted.

HP Recommended

@wheyluhai

Welcome to HP forums, I see that you are unable to monitor the temperature in SMART.

I am sending you a private message. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@sandytechy20 , JeffK and I are also having the same problem. Can we get some help too?

HP Recommended

To keep everyone posted, I received a message from another HP Tech who requested my contact info, serial number, part number and description of issue. Lets see if this goes anywhere! :OpenSmile:

Edit: If we can't get this resolved I can defintely imagine many people sadly returning their ex920 1tb drives and buying another brand. What I'm most surprised about is that there is no support, drivers or information about this drive on the HP website. The part number and serial numbers aren't even recognized. Meaning no firmware updates etc, whereas most other competing brands offer drive management software as well as firmware updates.

Update 1: They asked me for a serial number or part number of my PC...what?... :indifferent: Hopes for resolving this issue have fallen.

Update 2: This was the tech's response (lol?):

"While further researching your question I have found some great information so you no longer need to worry or be concerned. Per my research online I found that Most SSDs are rated for running within a temperature range of 0ºC up to a max temp of 70ºC (32ºF to 158ºF). " I promptly replied that the reported value of 54 deg C was not the issue, rather it is the fact that there is no way of telling what the actual tempterature of the drive is because it definitely is not reporting accurately. There is a problem with the SMART reporting within this drive. The raw value for the temperature index is incorrectly static.

HP Recommended

Hi,  I have not received your private message.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.