Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I believe I figured out the issue - I believe the drives I ordered have an even newer firmware (or at least a different one). The firmware updating software sucks in that it doesn't give you any message or indication about anything. It either updates or says nothing at all. I used the free software CrystalDiskInfo to view the firmware on my drives and compared it to the firmware versions embedded in the updating software. They don't match. Not only that, but CrystalDiskInfo indicates the temperature of my drives is fine (around 30) which is the main reason for the firmware update in the first place.

I hope this helps anyone reading. I lost around 3 hours of my life yesterday trying to figure this out. I place some blame on the firmware updating software. It should know about all the firmwares and give you some kind of message indicating your firmware is up to date (if no flash is needed). My ex920 drives are all 512GB.

HP Recommended

@DCswitch

The firmware update shows the current firmware version and the newest firmware version (the one it has a file for at the time you downloaded it.)  SVN139B is the version that had the temperature issue.  The only confusing factor is that the fixed firmware has the same SNV139B designation; I discussed that in a previous post.  So, if you have SVN139B and temperature reading is bad, you need to flash.  If you have SVN139B and the temperature reading is good, you don't need to flash.  If the firmware version is higher, e.g. SVN139C, then the temperature reading hopefully is also fine.

The firmware update software lets you update even if you have the latest version.  Did you select drive to update, click on start, click OK on warning not to power off during flash, and then get a PASS message in the result column?  If not, you didn't flash anything.

What version of firmware do you have?  You never mentioned it.

HP Recommended

@DCswitch

One more question - I just went to https://www.multipointe.com/ to see if firmware update tool had been updated and noticed that HP now has an even faster SSD - the HP EX950.  Did you happen to buy a HP EX950?  If so, the HP EX920 firmware update tool will probably show a blank screen since the firmware update is for a DIFFERENT SSD.  If that is the case, you should be happy that the firmware update software didn't let you brick your SSD.  😉

HP Recommended

I was writing from my mobile, otherwise I would have included the firmware version in the first place.

SVN163 is my firmware

These are definitely HP ex920 M.2

If you download the firmware updating software, embedded in the file FWVerDB.ini are the version numbers:
SVN105
SVN139B

I have neither of these, so that's my guess why the software remains blank.

HP Recommended

Same here.

HP Recommended

So, maybe to clarify we can add this info:

Use CrystalDiskInfo to look at the firmware version of your HP EX920

SVN105 - flash the new firmware if desired; maybe there are some small improvements.

SVN139B - if temperature reads 54C, flash to new SVN139B using firmware update tool

SVN139B - if temperature is OK, you're all set, no firmware update required

SVN163 - this firmware is after temperature issue was found and fixed, you're all set, no firmware update required

HP Recommended

It would be cool if HP/Multipointe upgrades the firmware updating software to reflect all versions and at least recognize if you have a valid drive and let you know whether you need to do anything at all. Not to mention- it would be nice to know if anyone has the prior versions to SVN163 if they'll eventually be able to upgrade to SVN163. Not sure if it's the newest or if these ex920 drives are manufactured slighltly differently (perhaps they're on a different fork manufactured with slightly different chips, etc and perhaps they need different firmwares)... just not sure. Most likely the software just hasn't been updated to flash SVN163 from what is most likely all prior versions. HP / Multipointe - can you hear me knocking 😉

HP Recommended

Have SVN163. Have 54C temps all the time. Drive doesn't show up in firmware update software.

HP Recommended

Bummer. I'm including a screenshot of mine in case it can help somehow. I have five of these drives and I've only tested two so far. I'll report back if there's any need to. The only difference is you have a 1TB, but I don't see why that would make your drive 23 degrees hotter.
DCswitch HP ex920.jpg

HP Recommended

@MegasXLRV

Interesting.  DCswitch has SVN163 and temperature is fine and you have SVN163 and it is stuck at 54C like SVN139B was.  Either the bug "halfway" came back in SVN163 or it isn't a firmware issue with your setup.  Which driver are you using?

Mine is the built in Windows 10 driver:

Standard NVM Express Controller

datea - 6/21/2006                (don't worry about this date, it's misleading.  NVMe didn't exist in 2006 😄  )

version - 10.0.17763.292

If you look at the driver file it is stornvme.sys with version 10.0.17763.292 and WinBuild 160101.0800

I have the latest Windows 10, version 1809, OS build 17763.316

You can try doing a driver update from device manager.  Create a restore point before you do that, just in case.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.