Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just tried HP EliteBook 840 G3 with Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512GB. It can boot from Samsung M.2 but booting time is long, around 30 to 45s as compared to SSD drive boot, almost immediate. Any advice how to reduce the boot up time?

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

Hi All,

I am also checking on different forums and documentations whether there is any experience with using SAMSUNG 512GB 950 PRO M.2 PCIe 2280 MZ-V5P512BW in HP ProBook 450 G3 (Skylake architecture).

I have the currently latest BIOS version 01.10 Rev.A (12 Apr 2016).

I wish to use the card in PCIe and NVMe mode.

Is there any recommendation from HP and or test that the above mentioned SSD would work well with the mentioned laptop and BIOS configuration?

P.S.: I did check the ‘Maintenance and Service Guide’ but it does not provide I think specific information to that.

HP Recommended

Samsung 950 and 951 firmware are in-compatible with HP which may take long time to boot.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

What a waste. In fact after boot into Windows 10, it is perfect, felt faster than normal SSD drive. From Samsung Magician software, it showed as Link speed 8Gbps, Link Width x4, Bandwidth 32Gbps.

Hopefully a near future HP BIOS upgrade or Samsung firmware might help resolve the issue.

HP Recommended

Hi, Thank you for your quick response. I also appriciate that it was honest so that I should not think about buying the mentioned SSD. I know that HP Probook 450 G3 is still fresh on the market as this is already the 3rd BIOS which I put on the laptop so let's see if the later versions could bring any fix for the 'long boot' time issue...

HP Recommended

It is firmware in-compatible so I am not sure that HP BIOS going to fix the issue.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Saw bios boot at HP logo for quite a while, once see the windows logo, it is fast. Hopefully it is really future bios upgrade might help.

HP Recommended

You can try HP 256GB PCI Express 3.4 x4 (NVMEe) and 512GB PCI Express 3.4 x4 (NVMEe)  and parts are available at HP reseller CDW and HP part store.

V3K66AA#ABA - 256GB

V3K67AA - 512GB

Using following part numbers for HP part store (partsurfer.hp.com)

823959-001 - 512GB

823958-001 - 256GB

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

what about other PCIe x4 SSDs at this time? 

Any updates?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Probook-450-G3-m-2-ssd/m-p/5... here is I asked about my wish to buy little bit another SSD from samsumg whish also uses PCIe x4 interface.

As I understood from all messages in this thread that wish PCIe x4 SSD the only problem is long boot time with HP logo and after all works fast and great, right?

Or better way is buy any SATA 3 SSD and do not experiments with PCIe SSD?
Thanks!

HP Recommended

Is HP going to fix this? I have bought the SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB and just found in-compatible issue in this forum. :Crying:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.