Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I would like to know if a HP EliteBook 840 G4 can support both SATA drives ?

I already own a M.2 NVMe drive but I would like to know if I can replace it by a M.2 SATA drive and add a 2.5" SSD SATA drive ?

Or if I install a M.2 SATA drive, I will not be able to use the 2.5" SATA bay ?

Thank you !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Just for information, I just tried and it works. I can install a M.2 SATA drive and a 2.5 SATA drive. First is SATA0 and second is SATA2.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual.

HP EliteBook 850 G4 Notebook PCHP ZBook 15u G4 Mobile Workstation Maintenance and Service Guide

Chapter 1 has the supported drive types.

According to chapter 1 of the manual, the M.2 slot supports both SATA and NVMe M.2 SSD's.

What I do not see listed in the manual are any dual storage configurations (M.2 SSD + 2.5" drive).

So, it may be that a 2.5" drive + a M.2 SSD may not work.

However, if you are currently using a M.2 NVMe drive + a 2.5" drive now, I don't see any reason why a M.2 SATA SSD + a 2.5" SATA SSD wouldn't work.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for the reply !

On the Crucial website, it also indicates it supports MX500 M.2 SATA drive so OK for this point.

I just own a M.2 NVMe drive only, not an additional 2.5" SATA drive. But I would like to replace my M.2 NVMe drive by a bigger M.2 drive and add a 2.5" SATA drive, so before to buy a M.2 drive I would like to try to know.

On desktop motherboard, some motherboard disable a SATA port if a M.2 SATA is installed but on laptop I don't know.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately that I don't know either. since the manual does not indicate support for dual drive configurations.

If your notebook did not come with a 2.5" drive, it is also possible that several components required to add the 2.5 drive are not there.

If you look at chapter 3, page 19, item 8, these additional parts are needed...

(does not include hard drive connector cable or hard drive rubber bracket):

Those parts are probably what you need that are listed on page 25, item 2...Hard drive hardware kit   821665-001.

If you just need more storage space, it would probably be a whole lot easier to just replace the M.2 drive with one having a larger capacity.

The Crucial report shows that you can go as high as a 2 TB NVMe SSD.

HP Recommended

Thank you again !

Perhaps you're right, it will be easier to buy a larger capacity drive. But if anyone already tried the configuration I would like to use I'm interested.

And thank you for the part number, I don't have a 2.5" drive so it will be necessary to buy it.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Sorry that I wasn't able to give you a definitive answer one way or the other.

HP Recommended

No problem 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi,

Just for information, I just tried and it works. I can install a M.2 SATA drive and a 2.5 SATA drive. First is SATA0 and second is SATA2.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.