Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 1040 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

Is that possible to upgrade HP Elitebook 1040 G3 original 512GB M.2 SSD to 1TB M.2 SSD (from third-party) since HP doesn't support 1TB M.2 SSD?

If yes, Please let me know which third-party brand should I go for. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Danny

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Refer to page 89 from the below link:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04950804

123.JPG

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

K N R K

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

You may have to look at two things before proceeding

1. HP recommends you to use 512GB SSD only as that is tested and certified

2. If you would like to try out by adding more than that, you can certainly give a try

Note: Please be informed that doing any changes beyond HP recommendation might void the warranty also

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

K N R K

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi,

Noted on this., May I know M.2 SSD size (dimension) so that I can find third party SSD?

HP Recommended

Refer to page 89 from the below link:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04950804

123.JPG

Thank You,

K N R K

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Yes, I just installed Samsung 970 EVO plus 1TB PCIe M.2 NVME SSD on my HP Elitebook Folio 1040 G3, works great so far. 

HP Recommended

Hi.

Interestingly I also have an EliteBook Folio 1040 G3 (i5-6300u, 8GB RAM with 256GB SSD model) and I just attempted to get it working with a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB m.2 NVME SSD but I can't get it to detect in my laptop.

I've tried as suggested in other threads and disabled Fast Boot, Legacy Boot and Safe Boot, but those options don't help. I am running the latest BIOS version 1.39.

EDIT: Actually, I can now confirm that it is working. My problem was just that it wasn't seated correctly. Even though it seemed like it was pushed in enough and the retaining screw seemed to line up with the notch, it still needed to be pushed in a tiny bit more. Hope that helps someone else.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.