Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook Folio 9480m
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I have a question about upgrading the SSD drive in my HP Elitebook Folio 9480m. There is a ssd slot for m.2 discs, and i know that it is possible to install Windows 10 on it and boot it from m.2 disc. I found the following m.2 ssd on the internet:

Toshiba RC100 240 GB - Solid state drive

This ssd (2242) will fit in the m.2 slot, but it says in the specs that is a NVMe type. Will this type work to boot windows 10 from and is it recommended? 

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, you could install the OS on the M2 SSD. It will not be faster. (naturally it depends on the speed of the SSD)

Personally, I would just install a large capacity 2.5" SATA3 SSD such as the Samsung 860 Evo (faster) or a little cheaper Crucial MX500 and only use one SSD in the machine. Basically because the M2 2242 form factor is not used a lot, so the SSDs will not be the most modern ones.

Hope it helps,

David

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@jeanpaulb wrote:

Hello, 

I have a question about upgrading the SSD drive in my HP Elitebook Folio 9480m. There is a ssd slot for m.2 discs, and i know that it is possible to install Windows 10 on it and boot it from m.2 disc. I found the following m.2 ssd on the internet:

Toshiba RC100 240 GB - Solid state drive

This ssd (2242) will fit in the m.2 slot, but it says in the specs that is a NVMe type. Will this type work to boot windows 10 from and is it recommended? 

Thanks in advance for your help!

@jeanpaulb 

It actually an mSATA storage as mentioned on page 1 and page 35 of the following manual

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05228980.pdf

It has different size, not normal M.2 SSD sizes. Please use part # on the top of page 35.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi, 

Thank you for answering my question. 

I am aware that i need a different size, but i opened up my laptop and there is space for an m.2 ssd (Small one, type 2242), with one screw on top in the middle, not the one mentioned in the manual with 2 screws. 

So, reading other forums some people tried to insert a m.2 small ssd card and format it to ntfs, then it is possible to install windows 10 on it and boot it from that drive. 

Is this recommended and is the speed the same as for 2,5 inch ssd's in general, so the 2.5 inch ssd drive can be used as storage? 

This is a type that will fit in my laptop: 

https://www.conrad.nl/p/transcend-ts240gmts420s-sata-m2-ssd-2242-harde-schijf-240-gb-mts420s-retail-...

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hi David, 

Thank you for the info. This is the ssd i am looking for. Installing an OS on this drive will be possible? 

So do you recommend to switch my OS (Win10) from 2.5 inch ssd to m2 and will it be faster? I think it is easier to use my 2,5 inch disk for storaging files and use a seperate ssd for OS. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, you could install the OS on the M2 SSD. It will not be faster. (naturally it depends on the speed of the SSD)

Personally, I would just install a large capacity 2.5" SATA3 SSD such as the Samsung 860 Evo (faster) or a little cheaper Crucial MX500 and only use one SSD in the machine. Basically because the M2 2242 form factor is not used a lot, so the SSDs will not be the most modern ones.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Hello David, 

Thank you, that makes sense. This chanced my thoughts and i will search the internet for a fast 2.5 inch SSD. 

HP Recommended

It will only support M2 SATA3 SSD

and no way to install NVME? through the adapter?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.