Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 13

I bought my HP Envy in 2017 for university, unfortunately that means it is now out of warranty. One of the hinges is loose and pops out of place every time I open the laptop, which is quite concerning and means that I have had to try use other devices to do work for fear of this leading to a cable snapping or becoming damaged. I need this fixed before term starts again ideally so that I can continue to study well. Does anyone have any recommendations for a fix for this? It seems to be quite a common issue with HP Envys and is disappointing as I otherwise really like my laptop, but this is dissuading me from HPs a bit as I have taken measures to be careful with the laptop. I'm currently looking into prices for local repair services, but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The fix is not likely easy or inexpensive. The hinges have likely damaged some of the larger plastic chassis pieces. Make sure any shop you take it to has actually done this work and has a plan to diagnose the problem fully. You may find it too expensive to justify vs. a new laptop. We could help with a do it yourself repair but almost no one really wants to do that. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

The fix is not likely easy or inexpensive. The hinges have likely damaged some of the larger plastic chassis pieces. Make sure any shop you take it to has actually done this work and has a plan to diagnose the problem fully. You may find it too expensive to justify vs. a new laptop. We could help with a do it yourself repair but almost no one really wants to do that. 

HP Recommended

Thank you. I will make sure I ask that any shop I deal with if they have dealt with this before. I may be interested in how to complete a do it yourself repair if this falls through though, have a couple people in my household who know a bit about computer hardware, so that might work. 

Again thank you for your reply! 

HP Recommended

If you can follow directions and turn a screwdriver it's doable. It's more like building a model airplane than any electronic stuff. The secret is to get the parts inexpensively and I like to think I am pretty good at doing that. 

HP Recommended

Hi, I've been looking into how I could repair this myself (expensive and lots of shops are shut with covid and all). Would you be able to advise me as to what parts would be needed? I'm assuming a back panel and a hinge. If you also had a guide for how to carry out the repair that would be really useful. It's an HP ENVY-13 AD model and I've managed to attach a photo of the hinge problem to this post. Hinge.PNG

HP Recommended

Tried again as doesn't look like the photo attached beforeTried again as doesn't look like the photo attached before

Tried to attach a photo again as it doesn't look like it worked before! 

HP Recommended

I do need the exact model. It needs to be disassembled with the screen removed so you can examine the mounting points of the screen and then inside the display casing. The Service Manual will show how to do that and will have a list of specific parts with part numbers. I also can likely find you a youtube video. 

https://store.hp.com/us/en/tech-takes/how-to-find-hp-laptop-model-number

HP Recommended

Hi, thank you! It's an HP ENVY - 13-ad061na. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.