Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
E9L17EA#ABU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hi guys, 

recently bought this kit of RAM to upgrade my computer, will it work with my notebook?

-16GB DDR3L-2133MHZ NON-ECC CL11 SODIMM (KIT OF 2) 1.35V IMPACT SODIMM

this is what ram im using at the moment

8 GB DDR3L 1600MHZ SDRAM SODIMM

----

Also wonder if a GTX980M Upgrade Kit will work with my notebook, would be very interested in buying one

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2882701/these-upgrade-kits-swap-out-your-laptops-old-graphics-with-a-...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Emeraldkingz,

Thank you for the quick reply!

Your notebook can support up to 16-GB of system RAM, using the configuration of 2 x 8-GB Memory Modules.  As stated in my previous post, Since the Graphics Card is part of the System Board, it should not be upgradable without replacing the entire System Board.  I hope this helps.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended
Any info anyone?
HP Recommended

Hello @Emeraldkingz,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you are having an issue with the Memory Modules, and wanted to assist you!

Based on the following guide, here are all the compatible Memory Module upgrades for the notebook: HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide (Chapter 1, Page 1-2).

Two customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots

DDR3L-1600MHz Dual Channel Support

Supports up to 16-GB of system RAM in the following configurations:

● 4096-MB total system memory (2048×2)

● 4096-MB total system memory (4096×1)

● 6144-MB total system memory (2048×1 + 4096×1)

● 8192-MB total system memory (4096×2)

● 8192-MB total system memory (8192×1)

● 12288-MB total system memory (8192×1 + 4096×1)

● 16384-MB total system memory (8192×2)

As the Graphics Card is part of the System Board, it should not be upgradable without replacing the entire System Board.

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

thanks for replying 🙂

these are the model i bought

cf49cb82-33f1-4f2f-943f-42a82e2a4d1d.jpg    KINGSTON Kingston HyperX Impact Black Series ...

16GB DDR3L-2133MHZ NON-ECC CL11 SODIMM (KIT OF 2) 1.35V IMPACT(HX321LS11IB2K2/16)

page link : http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MME342A864

--------------------------------

im not to great with techical details so think theyll work in my notebook?

is there any upgrades for the graphics card?

HP Recommended

Hello @Emeraldkingz,

Thank you for the quick reply!

Your notebook can support up to 16-GB of system RAM, using the configuration of 2 x 8-GB Memory Modules.  As stated in my previous post, Since the Graphics Card is part of the System Board, it should not be upgradable without replacing the entire System Board.  I hope this helps.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

thanks getting back to me, delighted i can update the RAM, should boost my computer up abit 🙂 just bought a new cooling fan and heatsink aswell, 

about the graphic cards though say if i bought a new motherboard like listed here:

http://www.laptopinventory.com/ModelDetail.php/HP/Envy/17-J110EA/Motherboards%20~%20System/48745

would i be able to attach a different graphics card? like have it soldered to it?

HP Recommended

Hello @Emeraldkingz,

Please see Chapter 6, Page 76 of the Service Manual, to see all compatible System Boards for the notebook.  I hope this helps.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
🙂 thanks for your help on this

I know that 16gb 1600MHZ crucial are supported

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct2kit102464bf160b

HyperX are arriving later today, so hope this works 🙂
HP Recommended

Hello @Emeraldkingz,

That is no problem!  Please be sure to post back with the results.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

yes took out the 8GB Ram, and put in the 16GB hyperx Ram, everything worked perfect 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.