cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

HP Envy 17-r... Keyboard Swap instructions

HP Recommended
HP Envy 17-r
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi folks,

i started disassembling my laptop as per those instructions, which went perfectly, except that this tutorial does not explain how to remove the keyboard. I took everything apart and i'm left with a metal board

metal board.jpg

which seems to be really firmly attached to the palmrest with numerouss plastic clips. But this side seems the only way to go, as the palmrest (on the other side) is made of one part, nothing to remove. So i'm completely stuck, here. I don't want to force the plate and take the risk to break something.

Any further instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and kind regards

Nicolas

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
43,141 42,930 6,875 12,042
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The tutorial does not explain how to replace the keyboard because it is not a thing. The keyboard is firmly embedded in the top cover. To remove it you would have to break and resolder rivets. You will find dishonest vendors selling keyboards but they have purchased subassemblies used in the manufacturing process and not replaceable parts. If you want to replace the keyboard you have to replace that entire top cover. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks. That's what i just found out right now ;).

On the original part i have the following information:

D/C 7H1690

71NC4232061

819948-BG1 SA

813678-BG1 SPS

Do you know which one is the correct part nbr in order to order it ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

None of the above. I need your full model number of your laptop and the chassis color to find you the correct replacement part number.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Envy 17-r190nz 

The palmrest if black and the chassis silver.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK here is the Service Manual:

Manual 

See p. 16

Not sure if it is this one:

For use in Switzerland 813678-BG1

or this one:

Black for use in the United States 818093-001

Either would fit and work its a matter of keyboard layout...is there an umlaut and accent grave key for German and French?

Found the black US model on eBay Germany:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/HP-PAVILION-M7-N0109DX-M7-N-SERIES-PALMREST-TOUCH-PAD-KEYBOARD-818093-001-RE...

The Swiss model was not there. This laptop is too old for HP Parts to carry this any more. 

The price is a bit high so you might want to keep looking. I am willing to try to help if you wish but no guarantees. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Brilliant, thanks.

How about this one : 

https://www.ebay.de/itm/for-HP-ENVY-17-N000-17-R000-M7-N000-Keyboard-Palmrest-backlit-Latin-Spanish/...

It should fit, right ?

The keys don't matter that much. I can swap them with my old keyboard. Just trying to not have too many to swap, like an asian keyboard.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you swap keys you are going to have to remap them. It can be done. I am able to work with just about any keyboard so agreed buy on what you can get that is affordable, 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

If you swap keys you are going to have to remap them. It can be done. I am able to work with just about any keyboard so agreed buy on what you can get that is affordable, 

Really ? Doesn't just selecting the right language and keyboard at windows installation suffice ? I've done  on a laptop with a german keyboard, and the keys where mapped from scratch.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If you mix and match keys you will have to remap manually as the keyboard would not be standard. If you swap a whole keyboard the automatic mapping will work. 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation