Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 17 M7 n100 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to know all possible upgrades that could be made to this computer. I would like to max out this computer if possible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I replaced the original hard drive in my n109dx with a 250GB SSD. I actually did a clean install if Windows 10, and eliminated all the included software that came with the computer. I saved the original drive in case of warranty claims that require the laptop be returned. There is no way to install a m.2 drive in the MB slot and have it be recognized by either the BIOS or Windows in the n109dx model. There is an ongoing thread on this forum I started a while back that is still being updated regarding this particular issue. It is apparently a BIOS issue, and HP apparently has no intention of activating that slot on the n109dx. You can add a second drive in the available bay near the battery. There are threads available regarding that install on these forums as well. If you search YouTube, there is a step by step video how-to. I also replaced my DVD drive with a Blu-ray purchased from a third party vendor. It was $10 cheaper than HP, and included the correct faceplate. I do not recall the vendor I used, but I just googled the laptop model and blu Ray and found the vendor. Sorry I am not more help with this, just wanted to share my experience, as it sounds like you are trying to do what I did with my n109dx.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi,

n100 series can have many different models/products (from n100aa to n199zz) what is yours ? Please use the following instructions to find out the model/product of your machine:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

You may want to read the following manual first:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04696907.pdf

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

It's the M7 n109dx.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The following link shows its specs:

http://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04866083

It has current top CPU for normal laptops, max RAM (as in the manual above), FHD screen and, dual band wifi  .... Only one thing can slow its down: HDD which is 1TB 5400RPM hard drive .

My suggestion (if out of warranty), swap its HDD with a "hot cake" SSD (or HDD with 7200RPM and at least 32MB cache) and your machine can have a new life. From my experiences after swapping a dozen of machines, the quick and easiest way :

(a) Buy new SSD and put it on a HDD enclosure (or similar),

(b) Clone existing HDD to it (SDD can be smaller but in my cases I used equal or larger - capacity - HDD of each machine).

(c) Physical swap - older machines could take no more than 10 mins but new design may take 1 or 2 hours.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

So is it not possible to upgrade the Processor to a Quad Core and the Graphics Card? Also, I was hoping you could suggest a blu-ray drive other than the original part that could fit this laptop.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Firtsly I am a person who have never watched movies on computers therefore sorry about the ODD. Yes, you can upgarde to another ODD which also supports BD's. But

• for GPU (video card) is a no, no and
  • for CPU you need to buy FULL new system board (or motherboard) with CPU as you can see on page #49 of the above manual and this is a very expensive upgrade.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Two questions now arise.

1) Do you know it I can add the SSD to the existing HDD without replacing it, meaning i would have both an HDD and SSD combo

2) Other than the original blu-ray drive, is there another one that you know that for sure would be compatible with my machine?

HP Recommended

Hi,

2. There are many standard around but can be anyone standard. Page 28 gives you part number and you can replace yourself.

1. There is dual storage option: 2 HDD's or M.2 and normal HDD. Your machine has GTX card therefore the option is 1-TB + 256 GB M.2 SATA SSD (TLC)

Is it still under warranty ? If yes, you can do 2 but you can't do 1 as implied from the manual.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. Actually that's also why I asked. My computer only has the 940M graphics card which is not the GTX version. The GTX one is the 950M which is a better graphics card. There are two graphics cards for this model and I have the lower end one. Due to this, I am not sure if it's possible to have dual storage options on this machine since I don't have the GTX one.  That's why in one of my previous posts I asked about upgrading my graphics card because I know that a better one exists for this machine. Also, does HP have a center close to me that I could take my machine to so they could perform the upgrade.  To answer your question, my computer is still under warranty which is why I wanted HP to perform the upgrade if they had a center close to me.

HP Recommended
I replaced the original hard drive in my n109dx with a 250GB SSD. I actually did a clean install if Windows 10, and eliminated all the included software that came with the computer. I saved the original drive in case of warranty claims that require the laptop be returned. There is no way to install a m.2 drive in the MB slot and have it be recognized by either the BIOS or Windows in the n109dx model. There is an ongoing thread on this forum I started a while back that is still being updated regarding this particular issue. It is apparently a BIOS issue, and HP apparently has no intention of activating that slot on the n109dx. You can add a second drive in the available bay near the battery. There are threads available regarding that install on these forums as well. If you search YouTube, there is a step by step video how-to. I also replaced my DVD drive with a Blu-ray purchased from a third party vendor. It was $10 cheaper than HP, and included the correct faceplate. I do not recall the vendor I used, but I just googled the laptop model and blu Ray and found the vendor. Sorry I am not more help with this, just wanted to share my experience, as it sounds like you are trying to do what I did with my n109dx.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.