Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Forget the video card update idea. The video is soldered to the motherboard. In order to get the 950 video you have to replace the motherboard. Very very expensive. 

HP Recommended

@Luis2 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Actually that's also why I asked. My computer only has the 940M graphics card which is not the GTX version. The GTX one is the 950M which is a better graphics card. .....

Hi,

I did reply for GPU: no and no, the reason as  @Huffer explained above.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@banhien- I asked again to made sure. You seemed a bit confused as to what computer I was talking about since the beginning. You thought I had the GTX graphics card instead of the regular 940M. You probably thought I had the 950M and wanted something higher than what's stated in the manual. It makes sense now.

HP Recommended

To Jkmatthews: Thanks for your help. I was looking at the other threads related to this machine and saw the frustration of many others regarding the M2 slot. I wonder what other jokes HP played on the ones who purchased this computer to give the low retail price. I wasn't surprised about this since the 17t n000 version with 16 GB of RAM like this one would have cost like $1299 on the HP Site when it was being sold. Even though that computer uses a Quad Core i7, that processor costs about the same as the Dual Core i7 and a graphics card upgrade and fingerprint reader certainly don't cost $279 so HP had to pull out another joke to keep the price low.

HP Recommended

Luis, thought I would reply to you once I had lived with my upgraded laptop for a while.  I definitely recommend swiotching the included HDD to a SSD.  I did a clean Win 10 install, and the laptop was much faster than when I first started using it out of the box.  My next project is the 2nd HDD install, as I found a vendor that provides all the hardware necessary to install the drive, andd the cost is much less than HP charges.  

If you are still under warranty, keep the original parts so you can reinstall if a warranty claim is necessary.  

HP Recommended

JK,

I have a couple of questions regarding the SSD upgrade. I was about to upgrade my 109dx with an SSD as well and then saw online that it can't be done. Sounds like you made it work. I wanted to buy an SSD and put it in the slot where my current HDD is and do a freish install of Windows, will that work? I then wanted to put the original HDD in the second slot which is currently empty and use it as a data drive, will that work? I keep seeing something about a disabled M.2 slot but I am not sure if that means no SSD will work with this computer or if just one of those slots won't work with an SSD. Please let me know. Also, I see that there is a newer firmware that was released in August, Are you using the updated firmware or the firmware that origially came with your laptop? Thank you so much for any help you can provide. I cannot handle this laoptop performing the way it currently does.

HP Recommended

Hi, will the 15mm seagate 4TB 2.5 inch work in the upgrade slot on this computer?

Tnx

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.