Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all,

I purchased my HP Envy x360 a little over a year ago.  While I use it often, I take good care of it.  Unfortunately, the other day, I opened up my computer and the left hinge cracked.  Now, the screen is separating from the outer protective "shell," and it is no longer connected to the rest of the computer on that side.  I have spoken to at least 6 different HP customer support agents over the phone about this, looking for a solution.  Unfortunately, I am told again and again that because my computer is no longer under warranty, there is nothing they can do to help me unless I am willing to pay out of pocket. The options I was given were:

1. Pay $36 for replacement hinges.  When I told them I do not have the technical skills to replace the hinges myself, the agent said I could sent it in to HP and they would repair it for $300-$400. Or, I could:

2. Buy the hinges from HP and take them to a local repair shop to have them replaced.

I called a local repair shop, and the man told me he could fix them, but it almost isn't worth it because it would be so expensive.  He said it would make more sense to just buy a new computer at that point.

My question is: has anybody bought replacement hinges from HP and taken it to a local repair shop?  About how much did it cost to repair?  About how long did it take? Is there somewhere else I can purchase the hinges from?  I am very hesitant about paying HP any more money because...

I'm very frustrated with the lack of assistance HP customer support has been able to give.  While I understand my product is no longer under warranty, I fully believe this is a manufacturing issue, as nothing I could have done would lead to the damaged hinge.  Research online and throughout other HP forums indicates there are numerous people with the same/similar products that have experienced the exact same problem.  If it is a manufacturing issue, the manufacterer should be responsible for the repair costs, not the customer.

In addition to being dissatisfied with the lack of a solution, I am extremely disappointed in the dishonesty from some of the HP support agents.  When I asked if there was any way I could speak with an agent's supervisor (as I know many agents are unable to work outside the constraints of the rules of their job), he agreed, and instead simply transferred me to another agent in a different department.  Each agent I spoke with continued to want to transfer me back and forth between the in-warranty and the out-of-warranty departments.  At one point, after I explained yet again how this was a manufacturing issue and not a customer issue, I was told that even if I HAD been under warranty, hinges are not covered under that.  I know for a fact that is untrue as I have read of several customers in the HP forums who were still under warranty and were able to get their computers fixed for the same problem.

Overall, I am extremely unhappy with HP's customer support, as well as HP for its lack of taking ownership of issues such as these and doing their best to remedy them and prevent them in the future.  Unless HP can take responsibility for this oversight in design and can pay for the repairs or pay for a replacement computer, I do not believe I will be purchasing HP computers in the future.  The poor design and the lack of support do not seem to be worth it.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@KaiserRoll

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I am just curious if you had any resolution. I as well had an issue with my HP Envy where I did not recieve any resolution. If it is the same issue as I had it is not really the hinges that are bad, it is the lack or proper lubrication / the preload being set too tight that is ripping the nurled threaded inserts out of the plastic. Check out my thread where I outline the repair procedure that I did. Maybe somebody you know could help you do this as paying somebody at $50-$100 would quickly come up to the cost of a replacement computer.

Have a good day and please let me know if you recieved any help.

HP Recommended

I just had the same problem it seems several others have had with the HP Envy 360. Just opened it up and heard a snap, a few small plastic pieces fell out. Bottom of screen and hinge broke. I’ve bought several cheap (around $300 range) laptops and still have all of them with zero problems. Splurged on this expensive one as a present to myself for completing grad school and I’m extremely upset that this manufacturing/design flaw is now my responsibility because the warranty expired 6 months ago. Considering HP’s lack of appropriate response on this issue, I’m confident I will not be purchasing HP products again. Garbage. 

HP Recommended

@robynkaye08

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.