Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
ProBook 4540s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a ProBook 4540s, bought in early 2013. It only supported Windows 7 and 8, not even 8.1, though I bought an HP 8.1 DVD on ebay and it works okay. HP's policy on Windows 10 states that PCs bought before August 2013 are not supported with respect to Windows 10. Okay, I accept that. But then why does HP supply drivers which cannot handle it?

Specifically, Windows 10 displays an error in Device Manager on HP Mobile Data Protection Sensor Properties. And it annoys with a popup error, HP Accelerometer can't run on Windows. That sensor is supposed to lock the heads when a laptop is dropped or something like that. To further complicate things, I traded the original HDD for an SSD, so the sensor is completely irrelevant. But the driver, HP 3D DriveGuard Software (American, International) sp71714, installs, but the Device Manager error does not go away, and the annoying popup sticks around. I installed the driver, then uninstalled it, then installed it again, but Windows 10 then displayed the popup with two identical entries!

I wonder if the driver does not work under the latest version of Windows 10, though Microsoft deserves most of the blame for not testing its releases before it forces everyone to install them.

HP should update the driver to notify the user that it is not relevant for an SSD, and then do absolutely nothing -OR- do nothing, but eliminate the errors. And the release notes should specify which versions of Windows 10 it has been tested with.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@AmateurBook

Please try newer software

HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@AmateurBook

Please try newer software

HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, but your link returns a 404.

There is only one DriveGuard driver offered by hp.com after entering the serial # of my laptop, the one I mentioned from July 2, 2015.

I searched for "sp85435.exe" on hp.com, but nothing was found.

HP Recommended

Last night that link returned a 404, but this morning it works. Whatever.

Thanks for the driver.

HP Recommended

Thanks! But your link returns a 404. Corect link: HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads

It works.

HP Recommended

@Polunin

Can you, please, share the installation file again? None of the links is working.

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.