Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 17-x137cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Wife is picking up the new HP Notebook 17-x137cl (http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c05309298.pdf),  armed with...

Intel Core i7-7500U (2.7-GHz, turbo up to 3.5 GHz, 4-MB L3 cache, 2133-MHz, dual, 15W)

AMD Radeon™ R7 M440 R16M-M1-70 with up to 4096 MB of dedicated video memory (512Mx16 DDR3 x 4 PCs)

16 GB DDR4 SDRAM (2 DIMM)

I'm pretty sure Santa needs to bring her an upgraded GPU as that entry level AMD will just slow her down, cough-cough.

What graphics card can this upgrade to? 

That is, what are the specs/connections/what am I shopping for?  Do I just look at the AMD R7's for a fit?  How good of a GPU is too good where other components are just going to bottleneck the thing?

Any advice is welcomed and thanks in advance. 

BTW, I'm still on my 6+ year old Dv7, going strong for 6+years god bless it...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Thanks for the quick reply.

Never thought I would misunderstand the words "Switchable Graphics", but I never did get into geek speak. I would recommend that HP change the term to "Switchable Graphics But Not After You Buy It And Take It Home".

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Dave1y1

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry for the bad news, but you are operating under a misunderstanding.

Unlike desktop PCs, laptops do not use video "cards"; instead, they use video chips that are permanently attached to either video modules, or to the laptop system board. These are not customer-replaceable parts.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended
Thanks for the quick reply.

Never thought I would misunderstand the words "Switchable Graphics", but I never did get into geek speak. I would recommend that HP change the term to "Switchable Graphics But Not After You Buy It And Take It Home".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.