Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Omen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Good day guys I just want to ask some of your time to help resolve my problem regarding of my period key/button on my keyboard, it doesn't work when I press it like in facebook or notepad but in game like League of Legends chatbox it works and by the way on another/external keyboard it doesn't work also it's the same as the first that I mentioned. I really appreciate your efforts on helping me with this. Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@GLIXCSS,

It is awesome to have you back. I am glad to hear from you. I read this post comprehensively. We have tried all the possible steps under the sun and the issue persists. Your tremendous dedication, remarkable temperament coupled with commendable technical skills are laudable. Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂

It has been an absolute honor to work with you and to share this platform with you and a genuine pleasure to work with you. I hope things work great for you. It is an operating system issue. Please backup your files and perform a push-button reset of Windows 10 by following instructions from this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289  and this should fix the issue.

There is an associated YouTube video on how to do it. If the correct on-screen instructions are followed then there should be no data loss.

Otherwise please perform a system recovery to factory settings after backing up your important data. Perform the steps from this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961 (HP PCs - Performing a System Recovery (Windows 10

Follow the steps from this section "Recovery using HP Recovery Manager"This should fix the issue.

If it continues, I will send you a private message to assist you with the next course of action. Please check your forum private message box next to the bell notification icon on the upper right-hand corner for a private message from me for further assistance. 

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed year ahead. Stay healthy and smile big 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@GLIXCSS,

Good Day.  A warm welcome to the HP community. I reviewed the case regarding issues with the keyboard’s period key. It works in some apps while it does not work in other apps. Superb description, brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this:

Did this occur after a recent software or Windows update?

Please provide the complete model# of the computer to assist you correctly.

For now, try these steps:

• If it is a notebook and not an Omen desktop computer as you connected an external keyboard to check please perform a hard reset on the machine by following instructions from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768

Then perform a system restore to an earlier time when the keyboard worked correctly and the period key typed correctly without hassles from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03327545

Follow instructions from the section “ Restore your computer when Windows starts normally” Now check if it gets resolved.

If it continues, please uninstall the keyboard drivers from device manager by performing these steps:

Log into the new user account after restarting your computer. Then check with multiple apps like WordPad, Notepad, Word and other apps if the keyboard works correctly and the period key types correctly in all apps.

• Run all Windows 10 updates to its latest version.
  • Now check if the issue gets resolved. If it continues, then backup all your important data.
  • Then perform a Microsoft push-button reset of Windows 10 by following instructions from this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

This should fix the issue. If the correct on-screen instructions are selected, then there should not be any data loss.

Perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. Good luck to you. I will keep a watch for your response.  Please note that I am not overloading you with steps but instead, giving you more information to work with.

We are as eager as you are to get the issue fixed. I request you to perform all these steps till the issue is fixed.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

A pleasant day to you! I Thank you for your'e response on my current problem and I just wanna say that I already follow your'e giudes on fixing this issue and as of today nothings really has been changed and the problem is still occuring. My OMEN laptop serial number is 5CD6200P7J  and Product number is W2N32UA#ABA. Please don't be tired of helping me through this issue. Thank you.

HP Recommended

@GLIXCSS

It looks like you were interacting with DavidSMP, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. I'm KrazyToad & I'm at your service. 

I see that you have already performed all the crucial troubleshooting steps and the issue persists.

Please update the BIOS from the Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/omen-by-hp-15-ax000-laptop-pc/10862325/model/119265...

If the issue persists, please run the Hardware diagnostic on the keyboard

- Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
- Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. 
- When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
- On the main menu, click Component Tests and Keyboard

Keep us posted how it goes 👍

Thank you.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response. I already tried your suggestion and based from the test the key works fine, it actually recognize the input, but as of now the period or dot still doesn't work whenever I browse on Google Chrome or even on any text editors. Thank you and realy appreciate of giving me your time to help me resolve this issue. 

HP Recommended

@GLIXCSS,

It is awesome to have you back. I am glad to hear from you. I read this post comprehensively. We have tried all the possible steps under the sun and the issue persists. Your tremendous dedication, remarkable temperament coupled with commendable technical skills are laudable. Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂

It has been an absolute honor to work with you and to share this platform with you and a genuine pleasure to work with you. I hope things work great for you. It is an operating system issue. Please backup your files and perform a push-button reset of Windows 10 by following instructions from this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289  and this should fix the issue.

There is an associated YouTube video on how to do it. If the correct on-screen instructions are followed then there should be no data loss.

Otherwise please perform a system recovery to factory settings after backing up your important data. Perform the steps from this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961 (HP PCs - Performing a System Recovery (Windows 10

Follow the steps from this section "Recovery using HP Recovery Manager"This should fix the issue.

If it continues, I will send you a private message to assist you with the next course of action. Please check your forum private message box next to the bell notification icon on the upper right-hand corner for a private message from me for further assistance. 

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed year ahead. Stay healthy and smile big 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@GLIXCSS ,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution.  You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.  

Please take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.