Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-ab150sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

It says in the task manager that one slot's free, i was just wondering if I was able to upgrade the laptop to 16 gb. The laptops got 1x8gb already.

Can my brand new laptop handle it?

Many Thanks, & Kind Regards,

Mr Hayle.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Unfortunately HP has not posted a Manual for your specific model. The Star Wars thing is the 15t-ab100 series and is the same physical case and layout, just Intel not AMD. There is an active discussion board on the Star Wars model and we know from user experience it can be upgraded to 16 gigs and it also comes with a single 8 gig module and an open slot. 

I think this might be your Manual although it is found under 15z-ab000 designation, the processor A8-7410 and specs and configuration described in the manual appear to be the same as yours:

Manual

It specifically says:

Supports up to 16 GB of system RAM in the following configurations.

I do not work for HP. I am a fellow end user who has some knowledge based on doing this for quite a few years. I have never come across a computer that will take an 8 gig module and has an open slot for memory that will not accept a second 8 gig module for a total of 16 gigs. If you buy the 8 gig module and it does not work I will buy it from you for a reasonable current retail value. Just PM me. 

Be aware that memory upgrade is not an authorized thing for self-help. The warranty may or may not remain intact. 

Also be aware that the upgrade from 8 gigs to 16 gigs does not change the performance of the machine much, if at all for most computer users and may well be a waste of money. But if you do heavy photo or video production work, lay down music tracks or compile large batches of Code you can use 16 gigs fruitfully. Even gaming does not really need more than 8 gigs, however. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Yeah but the access to the RAM slots is not real easy and puts the warranty in jeopardy. 

Service Manual

See p. 55

Let us know if you need any more help.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

I have looked thourgh the manual HP Pavilion Notebook (Intel) Star WarsTM Special Edition Notebook.

This is not an intel star wars special edition notebook.

My laptop has an amd a8 7410 apu with radeon hd R5 Graphics Direct x 12.

So this manual does or does not apply to my laptop? Please at your conveinece get the correct maual.

If this is the correct manual it does not say on page 55 that the laptop can be upgraded to 16gb of ram. It only says what ram module there is.

Is this laptop upgradeable to 16 gb of ram?

Many thanks & Kind Regards,

Mr Francis Hayle.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately HP has not posted a Manual for your specific model. The Star Wars thing is the 15t-ab100 series and is the same physical case and layout, just Intel not AMD. There is an active discussion board on the Star Wars model and we know from user experience it can be upgraded to 16 gigs and it also comes with a single 8 gig module and an open slot. 

I think this might be your Manual although it is found under 15z-ab000 designation, the processor A8-7410 and specs and configuration described in the manual appear to be the same as yours:

Manual

It specifically says:

Supports up to 16 GB of system RAM in the following configurations.

I do not work for HP. I am a fellow end user who has some knowledge based on doing this for quite a few years. I have never come across a computer that will take an 8 gig module and has an open slot for memory that will not accept a second 8 gig module for a total of 16 gigs. If you buy the 8 gig module and it does not work I will buy it from you for a reasonable current retail value. Just PM me. 

Be aware that memory upgrade is not an authorized thing for self-help. The warranty may or may not remain intact. 

Also be aware that the upgrade from 8 gigs to 16 gigs does not change the performance of the machine much, if at all for most computer users and may well be a waste of money. But if you do heavy photo or video production work, lay down music tracks or compile large batches of Code you can use 16 gigs fruitfully. Even gaming does not really need more than 8 gigs, however. 

HP Recommended

I think that they have not got a manual for my laptop becuase it's really new? Or they need time to make one, i dont' know but the maunal you've given me is the same to this laptop.

It's weird that the manual for a different model has the same specifications as my laptop.

I'm looking to upgrade the ram to 16 GB because on the currys pc world website it said 8gb of ram, however because the graphics card can steal ram i only get 6.94gb of ram (Usable) and i plan to play new games that take alot of ram and the system users around 2.5gb's of ram just for the os (all the time)! :(. so i'm only getting around 4.5 gbs of ram and most games require full or over 4gb's of ram, so there's no ram left for things like playing music, browsing the web to find mods while the games open, move, delete and replace game files for mods.

My dad's told me to give it a week to see if Windows 10 and the laptop hardware does not develop any faults because my last hp laptop did within the first week!.

I will consider buying it sooner than later and if i do buy it and it does not work i will pm you to sell it.

Would i void the warrenty of this laptop if i upgraded the os to windows 10 build 1511 (Novembers update) for better peformace or would it void the warrenty.

I didn't think that the laptop would come with windows 10 home and not been updated to the latest version of Windows 10. As the newer update for Windows 10 offers sunifficent peformace and memory boosts.

Many Thanks, & Kind Regards,

Mr Hayle.

HP Recommended

Likely there is no manual because it is so new. I am 100% confident 16 gigs will work. I am also 100% confident the manual I provided is the correct one for your laptop and they will eventually post that same manual to the support page for your model.  You will not affect the warranty by simply updating the operating system. Good luck. 

HP Recommended

When you said that upgrading the operating system will not void the warrenty. Does that mean i can load the november Windows 10 Update onto my system?

Thanks for all your reply's and helpful understanding.

HP Recommended

Yes and any future updates as well. 

HP Recommended
i am using new hp pavilion ab-150sa. my VGA was 1gb. Due to the softwares I'm running, I decided the install win 8.1 on the laptop, but after installing win 8.1, my VGA was 256mb. why was that please?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.