Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-eg1073cl
Microsoft Windows 11

I installed a brand new Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIE 4.0 NVMe M2 drive in my HP to replace the original 500 GB M2 drive.

I turned off the secure boot in the BIOS settings and put the Windows 11 UEFI boot stick in a USB port.

When I boot from the USB drive, Windows 11 installer starts up, but when I need to select where to install Windows 11, the new Samsung M2 drive is not displayed as an option!

Kindly advise how to install Windows 11 onto this new M2 drive in my HP.

Thank you,

Philip

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, Philip:

There is a special process needed to install W10 on notebooks with the new Intel 11th gen core processors...

See the info at the link below.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15-f2000-laptop-pc-series/35900344/model/35900346/document/c...

Here is the link to the driver you need...

This package contains the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver for the supported notebook models and operating systems. The Intel Rapid Storage Technology is designed to provide functionality for the Intel Storage Controllers. The driver improves Serial ATA (SATA) disk performance with Native Command Queuing.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp111501-112000/sp111776.exe

There is an error in that document, and that is where HP tells you to right click on the Intel driver file and select Extract to

When I ran through the steps, I don't get an Extract to option when I right click on the file.

You will probably have the same issue.  Download and install the free 7-zip file utility from the link below.

The 2nd file at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

7-Zip (7-zip.org)

Then you can right click on the exe file, select 7-Zip from the menu, and select Extract to:  and let it extract the file into its folder name (sp111776), and copy that folder to your USB flash drive, and continue with the instructions.

You are aware that the M.2 slot your PC has is only Gen 3, correct?

See the PCIe specs below.

Intel® Core™ i7-1195G7 Processor

Your Samsung 980 Pro SSD is Gen 4, so it will not run at its maximum advertised sequential read/write speed.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi, Philip:

There is a special process needed to install W10 on notebooks with the new Intel 11th gen core processors...

See the info at the link below.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-15-f2000-laptop-pc-series/35900344/model/35900346/document/c...

Here is the link to the driver you need...

This package contains the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver for the supported notebook models and operating systems. The Intel Rapid Storage Technology is designed to provide functionality for the Intel Storage Controllers. The driver improves Serial ATA (SATA) disk performance with Native Command Queuing.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp111501-112000/sp111776.exe

There is an error in that document, and that is where HP tells you to right click on the Intel driver file and select Extract to

When I ran through the steps, I don't get an Extract to option when I right click on the file.

You will probably have the same issue.  Download and install the free 7-zip file utility from the link below.

The 2nd file at the top of the page is for 64 bit.

7-Zip (7-zip.org)

Then you can right click on the exe file, select 7-Zip from the menu, and select Extract to:  and let it extract the file into its folder name (sp111776), and copy that folder to your USB flash drive, and continue with the instructions.

You are aware that the M.2 slot your PC has is only Gen 3, correct?

See the PCIe specs below.

Intel® Core™ i7-1195G7 Processor

Your Samsung 980 Pro SSD is Gen 4, so it will not run at its maximum advertised sequential read/write speed.

HP Recommended

Ok - thank you for that - it worked a treat and Windows 11 was installed in a few minutes!

When I connect the original 500 GB HP M2 drive in an M2 adaptor - it shows the drive - but it is bitlocked!

I need the 48-digit recovery key to unlock this drive - where do I find this key, please?

Thank you very much!

Philip

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

When you first set up Windows on the PC, the Bitlocker recovery key should have been exported to your Microsoft account.

Finding your BitLocker recovery key in Windows (microsoft.com)

If you did not elect to have your Bitlocker recovery key exported to your Microsoft account, or you set up a local account, I don't think there is anything you can do (at least I know of no way), so you may want to start a new post on that subject.

HP Recommended

Hi again, Philip:

One other suggestion if you can't recover the Bitlocker key.

I suppose as a last resort you can reinstall the original SSD and turn off Bitlocker to unlock the drive in Windows.

How to Remove Bitlocker Encryption In Windows 11 | Turn Off Bitlocker - YouTube

HP Recommended

I attached the bit locked drive on M2 adaptor and tried to unlock it as you suggested- but again it asked for the 48 digit recovery code - which I don't have!  ANy other suggestions  I tink that it was bitlocked by accident/mistake!

HP Recommended

I think that you will have to reinstall the SSD back in the notebook's M.2 slot in order to decrypt it.

HP Recommended

One other observation - when I run Samsung Magician - in the Drive Dashboard - it shows the M2 drive as "N/A" -= where Samsung say that N/A is represented in Drive Health.

There is a driver compatibility issue - Intel Corporation 18.6.1.1016.

Kindly please advise.

Thank you!

Philip

HP Recommended

I tried that already and guess what - it requested the 48 digit recovery code!

HP Recommended

Sorry that you are unable to decrypt the drive. 

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to help you with why the Samsung Magician software is not reporting the correct information. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.