Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17-ab306ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

I have bought this particular notebook for ocasion gaming about 6 months ago.

Firstly, when i tested games the same day i bought it, i saw that when CPU was hotter than 60 degrees, it lowered the clock speeds until it cooled down. This leaded to massive FPS drops while gaming. I "fixed it" with a BIOS update.

But when i want to play something now, it feels weaker than it should be. The i5-7300HQ isnt far from desktop i5-7400 (about 15% lower performance), and the GTX 150Ti should be capable of solid gaming experience. When i play for example RUST, im barely stratching 40FPS  at lowest possible settings. But when i tried my older destkop pc (i3-4130, 8gb ram, gtx 960) it ran at medium setting, 1080p 60 FPS stable.

The temperatures are ok. When in-game, they dont go over 70 degrees, but i think it is still lowering performance to keep it at the temperature lower than 70 degrees.

My questions are: 1) Why is the performance so low for the hardware that is capable of 60fps mid graphics gaming. 

2)Can i somehow turn off the performance limiter to let the laptop run at higher temepratures ? I dont mind temps over 80 degrees aswell.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Ondruj,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

The computer what is having is not a gaming computer hence the performance drops when it reaches a certain temperature level. Having said that, I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Right-click your desktop background and select NVIDIA Control Panel. You can also find this tool by performing a Start menu (or Start screen) search for NVIDIA Control Panel or by right-clicking the NVIDIA icon in your system tray and selecting Open NVIDIA Control Panel.

To quickly set a system-wide preference, you could use the Adjust image settings with the preview option. For example, if you have old hardware that struggles to play the games you want to play, you may want to select “Use my preference emphasizing” and move the slider all the way to “Performance.” This trades graphics quality for an increased frame rate.

By default, the “Use the advanced 3D image settings” option is selected. You can select Manage 3D settings and change advanced settings for all programs on your computer or just for specific games. NVIDIA keeps a database of the optimal settings for various games, but you’re free to tweak individual settings here. Just mouse-over an option for an explanation of what it does.

If you have a laptop with NVIDIA Optimus technology — that is, both NVIDIA and Intel graphics — this is the same place you can choose which applications will use the NVIDIA hardware and which will use the Intel hardware.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Well i know it is not a gaming laptop, i bought it mainly for school purposes.

But still, the specs are capable of some mediocre gaming.

I knew about the nvidia panel options, i have applied them long time ago to "performance" instead of the "quality".

Is there really no way for me to turn off that 70-ish degrees performance limiter ?

HP Recommended

@Ondruj,

I would like to inform you that there is no option to increase/decrease or disable the temperature set limit on the computer.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.