Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-cs2073cl
Microsoft Windows 11

This HP is now 3+ years old. It originally was 64-bit Windows 10 home.  Over time, it became almost unresponsive. After clicking on a button or link, it could be a couple of minutes before anything happened.  Device manager didn't show any process consuming excessive memory, but drive C always showed 100% access.  After a long wait, 30 minutes or more, the system would be better, but still slow. 

I thought that maybe a clean operating system would help. I downloaded the Windows 11 64-bit upgrade and installed it, with the option to keep only my files and no apps.  This seemed to make it worse.  It takes forever to start up, and after logging in is just as unresponsive, even though I have not installed any other apps.

I ran all of the HP diagnostics, both in Windows and UEFI BIOS mode.  No problems were found in hardware or drivers.  There has to be some process at startup that is overusing resources or some setting that is wrong, but I can't figure it out. I was planning on an upgrade with 2 sticks of 16 GB RAM and a Samsung 1 TB SSD, but not unless I can get the OS to work properly. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@krominator,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

Your HP Pavilion 15-Cs2073cl (6MZ82UA), according to: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06294077, was factory-fitted with 2 x 8GB of 2400 MHz DDR4 RAM and a 1TB 5400 rpm SATA HDD.

All right, this is right up my alley.

What I would like you to do is brew yourself a cup of your favorite hot beverage and take about half an hour of your life to carefully follow and apply the Windows optimization steps as very professionally delineated by a British PC wizard, named Panjo: 🔧 How to Optimize Windows 10 For GAMING & Performance in 2019 The Ultimate Updated GUIDE - YouTube.

[EDIT:] Applies to Windows 11 as well, even though the W11 software layout is somewhat different.  If you have questions, please let me know.

Forget about the "Gaming" label -the optimization steps are going to be beneficial for you regardless.

Please do so, and report back to discuss actual hardware upgrade(s).

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.