Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-cx0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought this laptop in November 2018 during a black friday sale.  Recently, I closed my laptop and I heard a crack sound.  Upon closer observation, I realized that my laptop's central hinge is broken and tearing away from the base.  This is also causing the panels on the front and back of the screen on the right side of the laptop to tear away from the screen.  Based on the wide number of similar posts by other purchasers that I have read, I can only assume that the problem resides with the shoddy parts and hardware on this model, as opposed to just normal wear and tear. 

I'd like to have this repaired as soon as possible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Welp, after many, many attempts to contact a HP Agent through the virtual agent, online through direct messages, through creating a case, and over the phone, I can definitively say that I feel HP's modus operandi is to just dodge me.  I've created a case number, 5047279584, but after the agent initially reaches out to ask for additional information they are never heard from again.  This is easily the worst support experience I have ever gone through having spent hours on hold and online trying to find someone at HP that will help me get my laptop fixed.  You can bet that I won't be purchasing another HP product in the future.

Edit: HP Tech Support is a true racket.  They make you wait on hold for 30 minutes just to tell you that they can't help you and that they need to transfer you to a different department.  Assuming your call doesn't get disconnected (which occurs over 50% of the time and sends you back to square one), you will spend another 15 minutes on hold until the new representative tells you that you've been connected to the wrong department, such as printers or software.  THIS HAPPENED TO ME THREE TIMES.  Ridiculous.  Mark, the tech support agent with HP's printer department that I was erroneously transferred to, hung up on me after placing me on hold for 10 minutes and he did not call be back, despite the fact that I gave him my call back number and asked him to call me back if we were disconnected.  I've been caught in this loop of erroneous transfers/disconnected/hung up calls and hold times for three hours and counting.

Edit 2: after 4.5 hours on the phone being transferred to different departments and spent on hold, an HP tech support agent tells me that the team that would normally conduct repairs on this laptop is  non-operational at this time and there is no one to help me... Wow.  Why did it take a week and a half and tens of representatives to tell me this?

Edit 3: So HP Tech Support quoted me a price of $380 to replace my broken hinges out of warranty.  After a bit of digging with another HP agent, I found out that the parts that needed to be replaced cost only $29.00 if purchased from HP ($11 elsewhere).  So I asked why HP were asking for so much money for the labor, because most companies charge $60-100 in labor, not nearly 50% of the laptops original cost. The answer was that was the price and they couldn't go lower.  A supervisor offered a measly 20% discount off the full repair cost. COMPLETE SCAM intended to screw over customers who didn't purchase HP's overpriced extended warranty because they trusted the build quality of a $1000 gaming laptop would hold up longer than a year with proper care.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@James311

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

This situation will need some additional support from our internal teams in HP. For that to happen, we will give you additional instructions/information via Private Message.

Please do check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Welp, after many, many attempts to contact a HP Agent through the virtual agent, online through direct messages, through creating a case, and over the phone, I can definitively say that I feel HP's modus operandi is to just dodge me.  I've created a case number, 5047279584, but after the agent initially reaches out to ask for additional information they are never heard from again.  This is easily the worst support experience I have ever gone through having spent hours on hold and online trying to find someone at HP that will help me get my laptop fixed.  You can bet that I won't be purchasing another HP product in the future.

Edit: HP Tech Support is a true racket.  They make you wait on hold for 30 minutes just to tell you that they can't help you and that they need to transfer you to a different department.  Assuming your call doesn't get disconnected (which occurs over 50% of the time and sends you back to square one), you will spend another 15 minutes on hold until the new representative tells you that you've been connected to the wrong department, such as printers or software.  THIS HAPPENED TO ME THREE TIMES.  Ridiculous.  Mark, the tech support agent with HP's printer department that I was erroneously transferred to, hung up on me after placing me on hold for 10 minutes and he did not call be back, despite the fact that I gave him my call back number and asked him to call me back if we were disconnected.  I've been caught in this loop of erroneous transfers/disconnected/hung up calls and hold times for three hours and counting.

Edit 2: after 4.5 hours on the phone being transferred to different departments and spent on hold, an HP tech support agent tells me that the team that would normally conduct repairs on this laptop is  non-operational at this time and there is no one to help me... Wow.  Why did it take a week and a half and tens of representatives to tell me this?

Edit 3: So HP Tech Support quoted me a price of $380 to replace my broken hinges out of warranty.  After a bit of digging with another HP agent, I found out that the parts that needed to be replaced cost only $29.00 if purchased from HP ($11 elsewhere).  So I asked why HP were asking for so much money for the labor, because most companies charge $60-100 in labor, not nearly 50% of the laptops original cost. The answer was that was the price and they couldn't go lower.  A supervisor offered a measly 20% discount off the full repair cost. COMPLETE SCAM intended to screw over customers who didn't purchase HP's overpriced extended warranty because they trusted the build quality of a $1000 gaming laptop would hold up longer than a year with proper care.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.