Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-dk0010na

I am looking to upgrade the NVMe SSD Drive to a bigger drive. (currently has a Toshiba 256Gb unit). I notice that the current NVMe drive is both B & M keyed. Does the replacement NVMe drive have to be B & M  keyed as well?? Most of the replacement drives I've seen are just M keyed (I believe).

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I am surprised that your notebook's NVMe SSD has two notches.

As you indicated, most only have one notch.

When I google the part numbers for both of the 256 GB NVMe SSD's listed in chapter 3 of the service manual, the illustrations show the drives having one notch.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Pavilion Gaming 15 Laptop PCIMPORTANT! This document is intended fo...

You can install a single notch NVMe SSD in your notebook.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

I am surprised that your notebook's NVMe SSD has two notches.

As you indicated, most only have one notch.

When I google the part numbers for both of the 256 GB NVMe SSD's listed in chapter 3 of the service manual, the illustrations show the drives having one notch.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Pavilion Gaming 15 Laptop PCIMPORTANT! This document is intended fo...

You can install a single notch NVMe SSD in your notebook.

HP Recommended

This is the SSD I pulled from the laptop:

IMG_20230226_085820.jpg

But thanks you for your assistance, appreciate it.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

My guess is that is a PCIe 3.0 x2 NVMe SSD and you can install a faster performing PCIe 3.0 x 4 SSD so it uses all 4 PCI express lanes the slot should have.

The manual indicates that x2 and x4 NVMe SSD's were offered in the model series.

HP Recommended

Quick update, bought a Patriot Memory P300 512Gb NVMe for my Pavilion, and is working without problems.  Would be interesting to know if 1Tb or larger will work , but for now happy with 512Gb.

HP Recommended

A 1 TB NVMe SSD should work fine because if you look at chapter 1 of the service manual I posted the other day, HP offered 1 TB NVMe SSD's in the model series.

HP Recommended

Thank you, sorry I didn't see that. I've seen it now!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.