Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion Power 15-cb511tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there, I'm looking to upgrade my current HDD to a 500gb SSD if possible. As i'm not too sure which type of SSD is compatible with my laptop, do any of you guys have any idea? And any brand reccomendations? Thanks 🙂

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

There is more than one choice.

You can replace the 2.5" hard drive in your notebook with a 2.5" SATA3 SSD such as the 2.5" Samsung 860 Evo or similar. On page 41 of the service manual, you can see the steps to replace the drive.

However, you could keep the hard drive in the notebook and use for storage and insert an M2 SSD. Your PC supports both SATA3 and much faster PCIe NVMe SSD. Before buying drive you should take a quick look inside the PC and check if the M2 slot is present on the motherboard. On page 35 of the service manual, you can see how to remove the bottom cover to take a look.

M2 slotM2 slotThe slot should be there, but it is a good idea to check as sometimes notebooks that did not come with M2 SSD are missing physical slot on the motherboard.

If the slot is present you can use either an M2 SATA3 SSD such as the M2 Samsung 860 Evo or similar or much faster M2 PCIe NVMe SSD such as the Samsung PM961 or similar. On page 43 of the service manual, you can see the steps to install the drive.

Example:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MZVLW256HEHP-PM961-256GB-Internal/dp/B06VYJMLS8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qi...

Service manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05493193

Let me know if you need further help,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

Hi, just for some clarification, I do not need to remove my current hard drive if i want to upgrade it to SSD. Instead, i can buy an M2 SSD and insert it at the slot on the motherboard if the slot is present. Is that right?  So basically my laptop will contain 2 types of storage right after the upgrade right?

Another question,

If i were to use my laptop just for casual work and some gaming, an M2 SATA3 SSD should suffice right? (Yes i am aware that a PCIe NWME SSD is much faster)  Are there any specifcations of the SSD I should be aware of if I want to insert an M2 SSD to my motherboard instead of replacing my current hard drive?

HP Recommended

You are correct. You can have both drives at the same time. You can use the mechanical hard drive for storage and the SSD for OS and apps. You will need to transfer the OS to the SSD.

Yes. A SATA3 SSD will already give a considerable boost to the PC. I would choose the M2 860 Evo as it is considered the best price/performance M2 SATA3 SSD.

Example:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-860-SATA-Internal-MZ-N6E1T0BW/dp/B078218TWQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=15...

Regards,

David

HP Recommended

Quick question,

What if i were to install an intel optane memory 32gb? Any thoughts on that? And between the M2 SATA 3 SSD and the optane memory which one would you pick?

HP Recommended

Personally i would pick the SATA3 SSD. I try to get away from depending on mechanical drives in my notebooks. I believe that Optane could be something great for the future when they become complete drives and not just caching systems in notebooks.

HP Recommended

One last question,

Between Kingston A1000 NVMe PCIe SSD and Samsung 860EVO M2 SATA which one would be the better option?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.