Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

So I bought my laptop about a year ago, and its been a nice piece of hardware.  Well, up until recently.  I've noticed that my laptop has been getting hot for about half a year now, and several months ago I noticed that the computer had slight stability issues, so I decided to buy a fan accessory that sat on the bottom on my laptop to blow cool air in.  It didn't seem to help, so I decided to check the temperatures using a program called SpeedFan and I noticed that my "Core" is about 72C and my "Temp1" is at 80.  On the lowest of settings.  If I put my laptop to high performance, the laptop eventually craps out.  This even happens on "Recommended" settings.  What exactly should I do about this?

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended
Try cleaning out the fan and heatsinks, if they havn't been cleaned out in a year they might be blocked.
HP Recommended

Well, I thought about it, and I decided to check.  I noticed slight blockage in the exhaust area, and I got it out.  I also dissasembled the entire thing because, well, there's no way to get to the heatsink on this without doing it.

I cleaned up all I could see.

Its still hot.

So no.

HP Recommended

Requested Sir,

I have DV-4 1131TX which is overheated while playing games or when laptop gets scan please help to know who solve the problem. We have took laptop a year back kindly give me all technical solutions. Please do the needfull as soon. Thank you.

Your's Faithfully,

RJ

HP Recommended

I have been having overheating problems for about a year and finally decided to see if I could fix it.  After reading all the threads below, I thought I would try to vacuum it out before I went to all the hassle of taking it apart to get at the heat sink

I shut it down, pulled the battery and popped out the DVD drive.  I took the flat end of a household vacuum tube without any attachments and ran it back and forth over the intake port on the bottom left hand corner and a bunch of dust came out.  I did this a couple of times and that seems to have taken care of it. 

HP Recommended
people need to stop recommending dust and cleaning. that's not the solution, nor is it the problem. is the problem the vista settings and poor architecture?
HP Recommended

I have upgraded to Windows 7.  Vista is not the issue.  Cleaning  your laptop is always a good idea. I'm a certified Dell Warranty tech working on my mothers HP Pavilion dv4.  The laptop is clean and it overheats.  I've tried a few things slowing the clock speed down but the processor is still overheating. There are a lot of posts on this subject with this model of laptop all over the internet.  In my experience this usually means one of a couple of things.  A design flaw in the air flow of the laptop or a processor that simply runs too hot. 

Other than cleaning - has anyone found any kind of resolution to this issue?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Seriously it's not a software issue, if you take out the hdd and turn on the laptop; it will get just as hot.  It's a design flaw on these dv4's with the heat sink that doesn't allow them to effeciently get cooled.  You cant use windows to underclock the system and hope that it will help because like i said, even without the hdd installed it will eventually overheat.  The best solution is to install a different bios firmware that allows you to underclock the cpu from the start.  I'm working on this at the moment.

And STOP using cooling pads under your laptops, they don't help.  All they do is restrict airflow!!!

HP Recommended

Let me know how that goes!

"The best solution is to install a different bios firmware that allows you to underclock the cpu from the start."

I have been having the overheating issue with mine for over a year now and it really blows.

HP Recommended

Same, heating problem with my HP-DV4-1125nr. Please give me solid solutions to avoid these mess in future,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.