Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Rushan85,

Read all of my posts on this topic. I have discovered that there is a temperature related issue, perhaps solder joints expanding/contracting. Since my battery is old and essentially non functional, the computer dies quickly if removed from wall current. As long as I don't disconnect from the a/c power cord,  the unit stays functional.  But if disconnected and allowed to die, whatever circuit is relied on to power up the unit is wonky so that even after I replug the laptop to the corded power it won't turn on. I leave the computer plugged in always now and after a power outage (we have a lot here) I just put the unit in the freezer for a while and then it should start again.

Sad to say that this is what HP has come to stand for.

NEVER buy HP again.

HP Recommended

I have had the same issue with mine. HP's customer service so far has been unhelpful, and considering their lack of response to this thread (on the HP site!) it seems they are admitting culpability by simply not saying anything. They knowingly sold us all defective products.  If HP doesn't respond or deal with this problem in the next week I'm inclined to start a social media campaign denouncing their products and brand. It seems only fair to me and everyone on here.  I paid a lot of money for my computer and cannot afford to buy a new one right now. I feel like HP robbed me of hard earned money, its not right.

HP Recommended

After alot of research online and many forums for a dv6917cl not starting I came upon this one. The string about freezing the unit sounded off the wall, but dealing with metals in work I understood the concept. I did indeed wrap the unit in plastic as instructed and placed in freezer for 4 hours. I am in fact writing this post on said laptop that I thought was dead. It might be a heat sink problem with one or more connectors. I will check units cooling fan too make sure it is operating as it should. Unit failed one day when it went to sleep mode and would not wake up or power up.

HP Recommended

jbset,

I suggest you copy critical files from this computer.

It is my experience that it will "fail" again and if you don't have a freezer at hand you might not get her up and running right away.

Juicer

HP Recommended

I just purchased a refurbished Pavilion about 3 weeks ago and I had this same problem. It just would not turn on, no LED's or anything. So I took out the battery, put it outside for a few hours (instead of the freezer, since it's winter here and freezing out) and plugged it in without the battery and it started right up.

This sucks though, I got a notebook so I could take it with me places, but now I can't unplug it with out risking it going dead again. Does replacing the battery fix the problem? Has anyone found anyway to correct this, or am I stuck with a desk top computer after all?

Thanks,

HP Recommended

Hello kev946.  I understand you're wondering if your battery needs to be replaced.

There are built in diagnostic tools which can tell you right away if you need to replace your notebook's battery.  This Support Document covers the process.  Follow the steps here and let me know the result.

Also, if you do need to replace the battery I may be able to help locate the part for you.  To do so I will need the product number of the notebok.  If you're unsure of where the product number is located this document can show you.  

I will keep an eye out for the results of the battery test.  I hope you have a great evening!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

HP Recommended

AoZ, I think you misunderstood Kev. He is having the same friggin' problem we all had/have with this pos HP laptop. It has nothing to do with replacing the battery. The unit can be plugged into the wall outlet with or without the battery on board and fails to power up until you play the freezer game. Something on the motherboard is shrinking/expanding or whatever under the extreme cold and allows proper contact.

HP Recommended
Forgot to mention... never again HP.
HP Recommended

The real problem here is with navida the manufacture of the GPU or what we call the video chip...

There was a class action lawsuit and navida lost... my HP's serial number was not listed by the lawsuit... so i will sue navida and HP in small claims court... They knew these units were defective...

Also Check the web to find out if you can get your money back from navida!

Thats your best bet!

HP Recommended

Well, if you're bold and don't want to spend a lot of money, here's how I fixed mine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRbES2dcvjw

I hope this helps somebody!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.