Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Does freezing the computer help startup?

HP Recommended

Today I found this issue out of nowhere on my Dv6 notebook, but there are some differences to your cases...

- The power cord LED is on when the power cord is attached correctly, and off when it's not. No issue there.

- Battery being hot or cold, on or off, makes no difference whatsoever.

It's just that the power button is totally unresponsive. It doesn't work on any case, it just won't turn itself on.

What would be my problem?...

HP Recommended
I have pavilion dv6000 its not coming up. If u plug in the power the power light wil come up but if u press the power button nottin comes up.
Please guyz i ned help
HP Recommended

Hi Eleiotiski. I found an all encompassing document to help you troubleshoot start up issues. Follow through and you will either fix it, or tell you what is wrong. Let me know how it goes.

Computer Does not Start (Windows 7, Vista, XP):
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443371

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

This worked great for my DV6. thanks

HP Recommended

To the dv6000 to the parts store with me.  Tried new a battery and new  a power suppy.  I was still Simply Out Of Luck.

HP Recommended

Mine will not power up, but it sounds like in most of these cases in this thread, you at least get Power lights on the front and above the keyboard. I do not even get that. I have tried the rest by taking the battery out and unhooking the power cable and then holding the power button down for a minute plus, then reinstalling the battery and inserting the power cable again, but nothing works. The ONLY light on is the blue one around the power jack.  Any ideas?  Is the mobo fried on this laptop and is it worth repairing? ANY help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne

HP Recommended

Mine is the same way and have done everything that hp told me to do from removing the battery etc., everything in their instructions....nothing...deader then "Kelsy's nuts". I am going to pull thge hard drive and hook it up to a docking port and hopefully, it still works. HP was called and they said they would "bring it back to new" for $349. If this was an issue to defective chips or soldering, then they should it. Hopefully, there is a class action suit out there. In the meatime I still owe $$ for the computer and refuse to pay it.

Have you found a cure to this problem?

HP Recommended

For all those asking for a fix... for the love of Pete, have you tried freezing the machine??

It worked for me in an emergency. I stopped using the laptop as a daily ride and have moved on BUT if you want to get it up and running, try:
Remove power cord and battery.

Double wrap the computer in plastic bags.

Freeze it for about an hour or two or three.

Remove from plastic and connect power cord.

Turn on (hopefully it will all work) at  least for a while.

Wipe condensation from screen.

Don't turn off laptop but insert the batytery at this point.

I have gone back to the laptop over the last year or two out of curiosity as it is still plugged in in a spare office space and it fired up fine.

Good luck.

BTW when replying, please be more specific than "It worked" as there are a number of suggestions/steps in this thread and your solutiion may be different than others.

HP Recommended

As an embedded system engineer out of work for 5 years or so and working for over 30 different corporations and once even using an HP 16000A logic analyzer for work with an MC68360, I can tell you a few things about this particular problem from many many persepectives.

First off, a computer is only a motherboard and a disk drive with peripherals- screen, keyboard, mouse. The motherboard contains the 50th version of the latest INTEL processor upgraded from 32 bit to 64 bit and the POWER to the board comes from a battery and an AC charging cord via a specialized charging circuit -- likely resident on the motherboard.

The CHARGING CIRCUIT  manages several things which include supplying power directly to the motherboard via AC to DC stepdown, charging the battery for use when off of AC power, and MONITORING the state of the battery charge. Circuits of long ago just charged a battery according to the voltage rise, NOW in our high tech nation of HP GIANT corporations we have specialized "intellegent" FW-HW (sub)systems which keep track of the time the charge is apply to the battery instead of the actual state of the battery itself. This means that the circuit could think the battery was chardged when in fact it was dead. This is what is referred to as "state disyncronization".

HP has a DEFECTIVE PRODUCT hands down, however, they have suggested that the "workaround" is to discharge the capacitors that keep the memory in some sort of state (TBD and plenty of comment not added here). Instead of posting an honest comment about the problem and offering an RMA process, they have elected to just give the nation who has bought these items the consumate run arounds. The ONLY saving grace the nation has are the HONEST men and women who post solutions to the issue and give all of us the insights we need to solve our own problems without HP.

I have tried most of the tricks, expcept the freezer method of course, so far and no luck. The method of removing the screen and then the inverter card and then the associated reaseembly smacks as a very good approach as it appears the power circuit uses an input from the screen to work correctly. The dissassembly so mentioned serves to resest the "state machine" in either HW, FW, or both and get the charging and output circuits to communicate as they should. I certainly can understand how this works but my experience with the clamshells of these items is not good.

Our nation today has devolved into what I refer to as a "technocracy". This is where society as a whole begins to think that technology is so much an answer to our problems that you have to have the latest item in the latest feature with the latest versions. The corporations love it as they can carry on like HP and just bamboozle the American public day in and day out raking in the profits without the slightest bit of honest professionalism. HP lab equipment is first rate, but their entry in the laptop market with this sort of factory release is reprehsenble.

I am now off to search on how to get this screen disconnected and get to the inverter board. I am ONE WITH ALL OF YOU who are experiencing the same problem. It feels sooo good know I am not alone in this situation. I appologize for the rant, but the guy who mentioned "class action suit" got me going. Sign me up. I can be your spokesperson.

Mark Ahearn,

www.allocatedsystems.com

Allocated Systems

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.