Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6500
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello!

First problem:
I found link to the drivers and software in the same "message" about dv6500 on this forum ( https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-dv6500-entertainment-notebook-pc-series... ). 

But this link doesnt working from 2019 under unknown reason from HP. 

I want to see what additional drivers I have not installed. 

This is not my laptop, but it has 4GB of RAM and 512GB SSD storage, its in perfect condition. Use for office purposes. I can’t believe that HP made such wonderful laptops in the distant time.

Second problem:
Through the VGA cable connected to monitor, my laptop sees the monitor, shows it that it is supposedly connected. But when me try to display the image (via Win+P or GPU Nvidia Control Panel) on different separate monitors - the monitors do not receive the image while inactive. The laptop screen just goes blank and keeps working again. The laptop says that the image was sent to monitor  - but the monitor is silent.

Other my laptops display the image via the same Cable/Monitor - excellent working.
VGA cable in good working condition, the resolution of the monitors is 1024x768, 1440x900. The video card drivers are correct, the laptop is serviced, everything is ideal. I think this is a software problem? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I think this is a hardware problem on my device, so no big deal👨

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

HP retired support for that model series since it is more than 10 years old.

The only operating system that was supported in the dv6500 model series was Windows Vista, so you will have to use the Vista drivers on W7 once I give them to you.  The graphics driver will most likely have to be manually installed.

Before I can give you the driver links, I need to know if your notebook as an AMD or Intel processor.

HP Recommended

No current online support for this model series. Is it an Intel processor or AMD? Are you seeing any errors in the Device Manager? 

Going to send up a signal flare to @Paul_Tikkanen  as he seems to be able to find drivers no one else can. I am skeptical its a driver as long as the display adapter is not standard vga and is nVidia. But worth a try. 

HP Recommended

I have AMD cpu, yes.

And there are no errors anywhere.

HP Recommended

OK, so what I believe the problem is...someone may have installed the W7 nvidia graphics driver and while that may work for the notebook display, it may not work the HDMI (if applicable), or VGA outputs.

So the only suggestion I can offer would be to use the Vista nVidia graphics driver that HP/Nvidia developed for your notebook.

You will have to manually install it as follows...

Download and run the Vista graphics driver from the link below.  You may get an unsupported operating system error.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp42501-43000/sp42635.exe

Close out of any error windows.

Go to the device manager.

Click to expand the Display adapters device manager category.

Click on the Nvidia graphics adapter listed there.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the file.

That folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp42635.

Make sure the Include subfolders box is checked and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC and see if you get a video output to your monitor afterward.

HP Recommended

Nice, i will check this out tomorrow😀

HP Recommended

I did speps as you said, but I get the following error-window:

There was a problem installing the software for this device
The Windows system found drivers for this device, but an error occurred while trying to install these drivers.
NVIDIA GeForce 7150M \ nForce 630M
The specified file cannot be found.

HP Recommended

Sorry that didn't work.

I am assuming it didn't work, because there is a newer driver installed which is preventing the Vista driver from installing.

Your only other option would be to completely uninstall the existing nVidia graphics adapter and driver in the device manager, restart the PC, so the graphics shows up as a 'Standard VGA Adapter,' and then you can try installing the Vista driver again.

The only thing is, it may make a bad situation worse.

I usually give that driver to folks that never had the graphics installed in the first place.

HP Recommended

Hello, it didn't help me unfortunately🙄

HP Recommended

I think this is a hardware problem on my device, so no big deal👨

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.