Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Sparkles1 bringing the case to HP support is NOT A SOLUTION. surley HP can see a patern here The Pavilion DV7 is of inferier quality in the heat transfer dept. The only thing I have not tried is running it in a freezer.  The unit is to hot to handle and judging from the comments on this site I am not the only one with this problem . So can you explain why HP is reluctant to fix it.  I really think that as owners of the HP Pavilion DV7 laptop, that we have a very strong [Moderator edited comment], which would hurt their already deterierating reputaion even further.

I look forward to your reply.

HP Recommended

What about the rest of us?  This issue has been going on for years.  I gave up on the the DV7 and have purchased a new laptop.  I still have the dv7 but it is useless

HP Recommended

seven pages of complaints dating back to 2010 and still no statement or fix from HP.

HP Recommended

I would have loved to join[Moderator edited comment].....it would have had my full support !!!

Alas, my 100 hour Pavillion dv7, for which I paid $500 4 years ago, is now being sold for whatever parts are salvageable... except the mother board that was fried, the case with a broken hinge, the battery that won't recharge, miscellaneous burned out parts....basically, I got a 500 GB hard drive for my money.

And HP gained someone who will probably cost them a few tens of thousands in lost sales as I tell everyone not to buy their lousy quality (worse service) products.

Great way to do business....I hope they go bankrupt and leave space in the market for who really wants to service their customers.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER again HP !!!

HP Recommended

As you can guess, HP doesn't care about their customers !!!

Mine is now being sold for parts......

All you can do is advise everyone you know, and anyone you see in a computer store looking at any of HP's products, not to buy their products.....lousy quality, worse service !!!

HP Recommended

And there never will be !!!

HP Recommended

You are so right paul This is getting really frustrating, but have you noticed how quite Sparkles1 is since I asked those questions. I'm actually going to have a [moderator edited comment] friend of mine who BTW son also had a DV7 with the same overheating problem. I say had because I convinced him to give up trying to get a solution from HP and sold him an ASUS .  The thing I find that is really amazing is that people are happy to pull their laptops apart and blow it out with compressed air etc. when in all reality that should never have to happen except in extream circumstances. I have a Toshiba and and ASUS laptops same vintage and similar specs to my DV7 and neither of them give any trouble.  Anyway I'll keep you informed of my discussions

HP Recommended

It is rather amazing what people will put up with.....that's why companies like HP take advantage of them.

I have seen many situations like this in my 20 years as a Purchasing Manager and it's always frustrating.

I now have a Lenovo and it's as cool as room temperature.

Good luck with [Moderator edited comment].....I wish I wasn't living in Brazil so I could be part of the fun !!!

HP Recommended

If the motherboard burns our, like mine did, use it as a boat anchor....it's not worth repairing.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem... then I went to youtube. I made sure to type in the search the EXACT name of my laptop:  open my hp dv7 3160.

I used this video... "HP Pavilion dv7 Heatsink Cleaning/Replacement (HD)" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwxQwLfqQxc   this man helped a lot.   so... open the laptop, clean out the fan, clean off the old thermal paste, apply new thermal paste, put the computer back together (I JUST did this, and look... it works!)

don't try this if you are not 100% confident that you will be able to be successful. if you think you may mess up your computer or not be able to make it work when you put it back together, then don't try it... 😞

KEEP TRACK OF THE SCREWS!! they are color coded. Start with a clean surface, don't start until you have everything gathered.  ASK QUESTIONS:  officemax, staples, data doctors ... all helped me with advice. Also, search youtube... watch complete videos before you start so you can feel more confident. and remember... if you are not 100% sure you will be successful... DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME. 😃

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.