Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 - 15t-dq100 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My notebook- HP Pavilion x360 - 15t-dq100 CTO - is 3 months old - received it on Mar 26 - and still under warranty. I am noticing for the last few weeks that I shut down my system at 100% charge and when I  power ON the system in the morning its always at 94% (12 hours) less than 90/80 % if kept on shutdown more than 24 hours

I went through a few other posts and based on their suggestion I disabled Fast startup in power setting - that didn't fix the problem

I thought maybe Hibernate is causing this and decided to shut down the system and that didn't address the problem

Also, thought maybe the USB external mouse dongle is powered during shutdown and removed it after shutdown and still the same battery is at 90-94% in the morning

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@itsfighter,

I reviewed your post and I understand that the battery is draining when the laptop is shutdown.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I would like to inform you that the battery will drain little even when the computer is powered off. Having said that, I recommend you update the BIOS from the below link and check whether the issue is resolved.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

If you continue facing the issue, then reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under the device manager.

Here is how you do it.

Step 1: Click the Windows “Start” button and right-click “Computer.”

Step 2: Click “Manage,” then “Device Manager.”

Step 3: Click the “Batteries” section. A list of devices will appear.

Step 4: Right-click the “Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery” device and click “Uninstall.”

Step 5: Click the “Action” menu item and “Scan for Hardware Changes” to reinstall the driver.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. I understand there will be some minimal discharge in the battery but I shutdown mine on Friday evening after work at 100% and switched ON today Sunday  - 36 hours on shutdown and my battery was at 65%, which is definitely not normal for a new laptop which is 3 months old.

Your link is redirecting me to the HP India site for drivers that didn't find anything for my model. I went to the USA website and verified my BIOS is up to date. The latest bios version is from Dec 2019 and version F.24 which is currently installed in my notebook. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery as suggested and verified it in the evening and still, the battery drained to 90% in 12 hrs. There is definitely something that is running in the background draining battery even though it is turned OFF. 

Thanks

HP Recommended

This morning monitored it again. it went to 92% in 12 hours. I am pretty sure this is not normal for a new battery/laptop. Hp needs to do something. This is driving me crazy.

HP Recommended
Ran an energy report and found the following errors. Not sure any of this is related to the battery drain issue. Help Please

CPU Utilization:Processor utilization is high
The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
Average Utilization (%) 7.53
Platform Power Management Capabilities:PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) Disabled
PCI Express Active-State Power Management (ASPM) has been disabled due to a known incompatibility with the hardware in this computer.

HP Recommended

@itsfighter You will need to Understand Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology: Click here for details

Resetting the ACPI battery driver may take care of this. There will be a hard reset mixed in as well, so the two methods combined typically help a lot with battery issues.

1. Go to Start, search for Device Manager, and open this result.

2. Expand batteries.

3. Right-click on the ACPI option (usually the 2nd option) and select delete or uninstall. Follow the prompts.

4. Shut down the computer. 

5. Disconnect the charger.

6. Remove the battery.

7. Hold down the power button for 1 minute.

8. Insert the battery only.

9. Attempt to turn the battery on.

If this had an impact, it should behave differently.

If not, Press the power button and then tap the F2 key to invoke the startup menu.

Choose and click on the F10 key to invoke the BIOS.

Use the System Configuration tab. Disable USB Charging and press the F10 key to save the changes and boot into Windows.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. I already uninstalled and reinstalled the Battery ACPI driver as suggested in the first reply. There is no option to remove the battery its not removable type. Also, I don't see an USB charging option in Bios. Believe me I went thru most of the old posts and tried whatever I can.  Bios is the latest F.24 Dec 23 2019 .

I have another Hp Pavilion DV6 (2012 model) and the battery stays at 100% even after a week in shutdown. 

Let me know 

HP Recommended

@itsfighter I suggest you create a new user account and check if that works fine, also, if the issue persists, their could be a driver/software conflict causing the issue and I suggest you backup all your personal files into an external storage device and reset windows: click here for steps.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did a reset yesterday, removed all personal files and contents. Didn't install any other software.  It was 100% charged during shutdown and this morning after 12 hours on shutdown battery percentage is at 94%. No USB devices attached. There is definitely something draining the battery which doesn't happen with my other laptops (dv6 and ProBook). HP doesn't have the same reliability and quality as before.  Please advice.  Thanks

HP Recommended

@itsfighter If none of that helped, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.