Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 14-ba104na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have seen a few mentions of HP Spectre notebooks having issue with battery drain when turned off. I have the same problem with my Pavilion x360. When in use, battery use seems fine, however when I turn the laptop off (I don't tend to put it into sleep mode or hibernate) I have noticed the battery can drain significanly, around 10% over 24hours.

Following the advice for Spectre laptops, I have ensured I have all the latest drivers, updated the BIOS and calibrated the battery, but no difference noted.

I have had the laptop for 5 months, and the healthcheck is saying the battery has already decreased to 90% capacity.

Has anybody else had this issue, and more importantly been able to rectify it?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@RicheySG,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Support Community,

As the battery is a consumable part the life of the battery decreases each time you charge your laptop.

Factors that contribute to loss of battery capacity.

Li-Ion battery cells suffer gradual, irreversible capacity loss with each discharge-charge cycle. Such aging occurs more rapidly as temperature and discharges loads increase.
The self-discharge rate of a Li-Ion battery is higher if the battery is left in an unpowered notebook.
During prolonged storage or non-use, the battery charge will decrease below its recommended low-voltage level.
Leaving the battery in a depleted condition for an extended period will accelerate the decrease in FCC.
Leaving the battery at a high level of charge in a high-temperature environment for extended periods (for example, running a notebook computer in a docking station under a heavy load) will accelerate the loss of capacity.
Running high-end applications using the battery accelerates the loss of capacity. For example, playing 3D games will lower FCC faster than using word processing applications.

However, you can try the steps recommended below.

Open Power Options on Windows 10.
Click Change plan settings for any of the power plans. I would suggest you choose the power saver plan.
Now click Change advanced power settings.
Under the Advanced Settings tab, scroll down to find Processor power management.
Now, expand (click on +) Processor power management.
Expand Maximum processor state.
Click the On-battery option and reduce the processor state to 20%. You can choose any other value.
Click Ok. The settings are saved, you can close the Power Options window.

Enable Adaptive Brightness
Go to Power Options select change advanced power settings
Go to the Change advanced power settings. Expand Display> expand Enable Adaptive Brightness. Now, turn on Adaptive Brightness for On-battery and Plugged in options (whichever you like. Click Ok to save the settings.

If the issue still persists try uninstalling the battery drivers device manager.

Search for and open Device Manager.
Click next to Batteries to expand the battery options.
With the options expanded, right-click each ACPI option and in the menu, click Uninstall.
Restart the computer.
The battery should now charge properly.

Please ensure you update the bios, chipset and graphics drivers from this link: http://hp.com/drivers  Please select the country and type the product# of the unit. Then follow the on-screen instructions.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know how to run a battery test and perform a battery calibration on your laptop.

Also, refer this document to understand more about lithium-ion batteries.

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Jeet Singh,

Thank you for the info on Li Battery technology.

I too have a brand new x360 that is loosing 10% charge every 24 hours (ie down to 80% in 2 days) while fully shut down ... NOT hibernated or on standby.

This is not normal behavior for a new battery.  Some discharge over time (maybe 2-3% per week) is normal, but not this.

My laptop is is fully updated, and only 5 weeks in use at this time.  I am guessing this is a bad battery unless there is some stealth battery draw by the system while shutdown.

Can you shed any info on this?

Thanks,

Rob

HP Recommended

@Zman-in-CO,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

In this scenario, I would suggest the best option would be to uninstall the battery drivers and then update the Bios on your PC. 

Let's try re-installing the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery 

1) In the search box, type and open “Device Manager”. 
2) Expand “Batteries”. 
3) Right click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there. 
4) Click on “Uninstall”. 
5) At the prompt put a check in the box to remove the current driver 
6) Shutdown the computer. 
7) Remove the battery for minute and then put it back in. 
8) When the computer comes back up it should automatically find the driver. 
9) Go to Device Manager. 
10) Expand Batteries. 
11) Right click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there. 
12) Click "Search automatically for updated driver software". Do the same thing with Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller. 

Also, try updating the computer - 

Step 1 Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Jeet,

I tried these items with no help.  Win 10 faststart is also disabled.

I did update to latest BIOS version (f12 I believe) and am wondering if that may be the issue.

In any event, I am not willing to keep fighting with it.  I am returning this device to the retailer and will try one more from them. 

Hopefully this is a problem with this unit only and the replacement works correctly.

I will use the factory BIOS for a bit to see if that is the issue.

Rob

HP Recommended

@Zman-in-CO,

As far as I know its not an issue with all the models within the series you've purchased, if it would be, there would have been a recall in place and there's not...I suggest you get the replacement if you are still covered by the replacement policy/warranty and the new device should work fine...keep me posted

Thank you 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

An update on this issue.  I did return and replace the laptop.  Initially it worked fine.  In the last two weeks the same problem came back ... 10% reduction every 24 hours ... fully shutdown, Win 10 Faststart disabled, BIOS updated, etc.

This is unacceptable and the computer is going back.  This is unfortunate as I liked the features of the machine. 

Rob

HP Recommended

@Zman-in-CO

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information such as serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.