Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 4740s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello dear people,

I have a question. Right now i'm using the Probook 4740's. I've already upgraded an SSD and the RAM.
The RAM i'm using is 16GB (14.6 usable).

The CPU i'm using is

Intel® Core™ i5-3230M with Intel HD Graphics 4000 (2.6 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)

On the page https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-HP/ProBook_4740s.html i checked the compatible CPU's.
The most recent CPU i could upgrade would be:

:indifferent:

i7-3632QM - AW8063801152800       i7-3632QM, 2.2 GHz, L3 6 MB, Quad-core, Turbo 3.2 GHz      

I could get the CPU for around 90$.
My questions would be:

1.) Is there a significant performance optimization by changing the CPU to the i7?
2.) Could i play 4k Videos without lags? For example VLC Player and Youtube

4K Videos are still laggy. For examle on youtube or VLC.
3.) Could i do video and music editing?
4.) Performing many task together: watching movie, several firefox/chrome tabs, coding, looking at
word document and pdf document. (mostly for scientifc reasons / study) without problems possible?

And i'm not using it for gaming. Just for office tasks and some video / music editing and coding in java / python.

Thank you and best regards

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi, did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have the same question myself.

Looking at this thread https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Probook-4740s-Upgrade-screen-t... 

It would appear that you can upgrade to this processor. I'm thinking of doing it but would like to know if there will be any measurable improvements in performance.

I have the i5 in there at the moment and it is running a bit hot. I'm going to replace the thermal paste so might as well consider a processor upgrade at the same time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.