Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Probook 450 G8
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello all,

I have an issue with my HP Probook 450 G8, it is severely underperforming (about half the speed it should be getting in most tasks). I've already looked around and did some troubleshooting and figured out the CPU won't use more than 10 watts. It hovers around 1.0-1.4ghz and it never goes above 63c id also like to mention that it doesnt go above 40% usage. Thing is according to throttlestop it isnt throttling in anyway, I checked the BIOS and there wasnt any options to increase the max power limit of the CPU. Any advice? (The CPU is an i7 1165G7)

Thank you

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Zawseh -- do you have a "power" icon on the bottom-right of the computer's screen, to show when the computer is running on battery-power, and when it is running on electrical power?

If you click on that icon, do you see a "slider" that ranges from "maximize use of the battery" to "top performance"?  Is the slider currently set to 100% ?

HP Recommended

Hello

if you click on the battery icon on system try, you can move the power slider left and right, to get maximum performance it should be at right.

which is the BIOS version of your HP Probook 450 G8 ?

did you try to run HP Image Assistant , in order to verfy all driver and BIOS are latest version ?

bye 

HP Recommended

Tried that didnt work sadly.

Thanks for the reply

HP Recommended

Its maximized however the problem still exists still has a maximum cpu usage of 40% for some reason power plan is high performance when plugged in

HP Recommended

@Zawseh -- is this your processor: Intel Core i71165G7 Processor 12M Cache up to 4.70 GHz with IPU Product Specifications

It has 4 cores and 8 threads, meaning that it is capable of simultaneously running 8 programs.

So, unless you have many apps that are open (Word, Excel, Adobe Reader, virus-scan, multiple Edge windows, and more) you probably are not "pushing" all 8 threads.  So, to get a "40% busy" rating means that the computer can do a lot more, if you throw more apps at it.

HP Recommended

That is the correct processor, however (I dont want to seem rude) but thats not exactly how it works if the app has multithreading support then it can easily use all the threads (prime95 does and the torture test which was set to run on all 8 threads was only using 40% across all threads when viewed in task manager all threads were being used equally)

HP Recommended

@Zawseh --  if the app has multithreading support then it can easily use all the threads

Yes, that is obviously true. So, do apps like Word / Excel / Adobe Reader exploit multi-threading? I doubt it.

the torture test which was set to run on all 8 threads was only using 40% across all threads

How fast is your computer's RAM -- it might be the "bottle-neck" that is limiting the speed of the software.

In Task Manager, focus on the RAM -- actual transfer speed versus the manufacturer's listed specifications for the RAM.

HP Recommended

This isnt a ram bottleneck its 3200mhz cl 16 which should be plenty fast

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Zawseh -- This isn't a ram bottleneck its 3200 mhz cl 16 which should be plenty fast.

Hmm. I would think that the RAM is plenty fast for a dual-core system, or even a system with two cores and two threads per core.  But, when you upgrade to 4 cores, with a total of 8 threads, you could be hitting the limit of your RAM's speed.

Add more load onto your CPU, by simultaneously running www.SpeedTest.net in multiple browser-windows. It uses a good amount of CPU resources. It may "push" your CPU above that 40% level.

Add a few windows each showing a YouTube video, for more load.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.