Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre Pro x360 G1 Convertible PC (ENERGY STAR)30
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Basic Info

Base Board ID: 802D

BIOS Version: F.55

Hi Everyone,

I have just updated the BIOS of the PC and noticed that, while the F5 backlight button lights up, when pressed, the keyboard doesn't illuminate. I updated the BIOS from F.46 to the latest F.55 because of a charging issue which the update solved.

It's easy to recreate the issue. Upon startup from shutdown, the F5 button illuminates immediately and when pressed, the F5 backlight just disappears without illuminating the whole keyboard. This happens inside or outside Windows.

I do not have any error messages encountered even in the Device Manager module.

Here are the steps I have already tried.

1. I have already checked the BIOS and the F5 backlight setting is set to Enabled.
  2. I have gone into the Device Manager module, deleted all the present keyboards, then rebooted the whole computer. In Device Manager, the keyboards that I deleted before shutdown just showed up again.
  3. I reinstalled the Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver, as I've read on one of the entries by an expert in this forum.
  4. I read on one forum entry to try to use the Fn button + the backlight button (F5) as sometimes the parameters change in different BIOS versions.

Note: I used the proper BIOS update instructions from HP (https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00007682) to do the update using a USB drive as doing it inside Windows 10 doesn't work.

What can be done to resolve this issue?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@ntngrsx

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

System Restore returns your computer to the files and settings from the restore point. Your personal files and documents are not affected.

1. Save any open files and close all open programs.
  2. In Windows, search for restore, and then open Create a restore point from the results list.

System Properties opens with the System Protection tab selected.

• On the System Protection tab, click System Restore.

The System Restore window opens.

1. Click Next.
  2. Click the Restore Point that you want to use, then click Next.

The confirmation window opens.

1. Click Finish to restore your computer to a previous point.
  2. Do not interrupt System Restore when it starts. This can corrupt your hard drive and create more problems. Click Yes in the warning that appears.
  3. System Restore returns the computer configuration to a previous point in time and restarts.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, @Echo_Lake,

I tried System Restore already but to no avail. Do you think the issue is actually tied to the BIOS update? Cheers.

HP Recommended

@ntngrsx

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software and BIOS will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to back up your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks again for the reply, @Echo_Lake,

I have tried the Restore Media Tool I created when the PC was bought but that didn't work.

I have also installed the HP Cloud Recovery Tool but it is saying that the Product ID for the PC is invalid but I am sure I entered the correct product ID I have been using for it when getting software and driver updates.  Am I missing something here?

I have also found older BIOS versions for the PC but I kept on getting the prompt "Unable to find BIOS signature file." What can be done to do the rollback just in case I am not able to do the recovery using HP Cloud Recovery Tool?  Cheers.

HP Recommended

@ntngrsx

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. This sounds like hardware related issue with the keyboard and in order to fix this issue,  your computer needs to be serviced.  As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. 

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically.  HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/​​​​​​​

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That doesn't sound OK, though, especially since the backlight disappeared after the BIOS update. Are you able to help with the rollback of the BIOS? Cheers.

HP Recommended

@ntngrsx

Let's try this:

• Firstly, remove the hard drive from the computer.
  • Once the hard drive is removed turn on the computer without the hard drive- While booting as the computer doesn’t detect a hard drive, so it’ll automatically roll back to the previous bios.
  • Put the HDD back in and turn it ON. It might give an error about improper shutdown. Just click continue and it should boot to windows.

Please click “

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply, @Echo_Lake.

I followed your instructions but that didn't work. I had already booted to the SSD-less environment, re-installed the HDD and rebooted but to no avail. It just showed the same BIOS version, F.55.

I am now certain that the issue is with the BIOS update as that was the only thing done just before the backlight was lost.

Are there any other methods to do this? We used to be able to rollback BIOS but not anymore. Cheers.

HP Recommended

@ntngrsx

As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to Remote into your computer and sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.