Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, 

I've just bought a HP Spectre x360 15" laptop and I am facing an issue with the brightness and the color of the screen.

The color of the screen seems to be a mix of white and grey, it's like a gradient grey color that starts with very light grey color at the edges of the screen and reaches a transparent color in the middle of the screen.

The color mix is not eye-comfortable at all especially when opening a page with white background..

Here is what I did so-far:

- Tried playing with the brightness of the screen without luck.

- Tried changing contrast and brightness of the colors in the color settings without luck.

- When I plug my laptop to an external TV screen, the colors seem perfect and no gradient grey appears.

Could it be a hardware issue and what should I do to fix this ?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@husseinterek

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with the display on your computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you update the BIOS and the graphics driver from the below link and check whether the issue is resolved.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
@The_Fossette I updated both BIOS and the graphics drivers without luck, still facing the same issue. Can you please assist?
HP Recommended

@husseinterek

I recommend you boot to BIOS by tapping the F10 key on startup and check whether you are able to duplicate the issue in the BIOS screen.

Let me know.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, the issue is duplicated in the BIOS screen as well.

HP Recommended

@husseinterek

If the issue persists in the BIOS screen as well then that confirms a hardware issue. I recommend contact support to check the available service options for your computer.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@The_Fossette

I changed my screen and the issue persists, the brightness of the screen is not comfortable at all.

After doing several researches, I've noticed that this is due to the sureview mode. My laptop comes with privacy screen option which is affecting the brightness of the screen even when it's turned off, the screen looks dark even with the maximum brightness and the darkness increases when looking at the screen from the edges.

There should be an option to turn off the sureview mode, i don't need it and will never use it.

Please assist how can i solve my issue, the laptop is expensive and it's a shame to have this screen quality due to a useless feature.

HP Recommended

Hi @husseinterek,

I'd like to help!

HP Sure View protects sensitive information visible on your computer screen by making it difficult for onlookers to view from the sides. This feature can be easily turned off or on using the function keys. An HP Sure View privacy panel is required to use the privacy feature.

Refer to the document for instructions-Using the HP Sure View Integrated Privacy Screen

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hi Jay,

Thanks for commenting.

I know very well how privacy screen feature works, my issue is when it's turned off, it's still affecting the brightness of the screen and this is most probably due to the Sureview panel hardware that is used in the screen.

When the feature is off, the brightness of the screen differs between the angles of the view, even when you're looking straight at the screen, you can see differences in the brightness by just moving your head a little bit ( the brightness is only in the place you look at, the right/left/top/bottom places look darker.

The screen doesn't have the same brightness vertically or horizontally and this is very annoying and uncomfortable to the eyes...

My Concern is: WHEN PRIVACY SCREEN IS OFF, THE DISPLAY SHOULD BE RETURNED TO THE TRADITIONAL VIEW AS IF NO PRIVACY FEATURE IS THERE IN THE MODEL.

It's very weird that HP doesn't handle this by default.

HP Recommended

I’d recommend you contact HP Phone Support in your region further for assistance.

Follow the instructions below to reach them:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device. 

4) Select the country from the drop-down. 

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 

6)Fill the web-form and proceed further.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.