Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am encounteringa problem with the screen of my HP Spectre x360.

I have a few very small, white "bright" spots on my screen that show up especially badly on all white screens. I first notice them within the first few weeks of having my new laptop, but because of school I could ill-afford to send it in or spend any time trying to get any customer service.

The laptop is great, but these marks are annoying and are unimpressive given the amount paid for a "top-end" laptop.

I was told by an HP Technical Support technician that fixing such marks would not be covered by warranty as they would be "accidental damage", but the hinges on the Spectre are covered by warranty. I found this curious as both work together to make the "2-in-1" tablet-laptop functionality. I've hardly even used the touchscreen and always been very delicate with the laptop. Additionally, it was suggested that the pressure must have been applied from the back of the laptop, which is curious as one of the selling features is that it has a solid aluminum shell (and there are no visible marks of any kind on the back).

Calling this accidental damage is a pretty terrible way of trying to skirt standing behind your products: it is a touchscreen computer, the touchscreen should not be damaged from occasional use. I have a touchscreen phone that I am constantly pressing and in 3 years have never had a similar mark. I got this with my Spectre 1 month in from almost never touching it (and if I was, it was to get it out of this finicky state where it would randomly zoom in and select things when I had no hands on the laptop (screen or keyboard/mouse).

Anyways, I hope there is a solution covered by warranty here as this laptop was very expensive and is failing at one of its core selling features with limited and careful use. I oringally was wary of the Spectre for precisely this reason (as I was concerned there would be issues with the touchscreen), and I strongly considered laptops with similar specs from Apple and Lenovo. I hope HP can make this right and keep me as a customer, otherwise I'll regret not going with one of the non-touchscreen options of similar specs and I would be inclined not to buy HP again.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

HI @SpectreOwner123,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details. If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works  please review this link:

First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem. I have about 7 white spots that I just recently noticed. 5 of the white spots are almost on a line across the middle of my screen and I haven't used the laptop roughly at all. I want to get this fixed, but I don't know how. Do I need to purchase a care plan or is it covered under warranty?

HP Recommended

Noticed this as well, one month old Spectre x360 13-ap0xxx.

In my case, they seem to go vertically, about two / three inches from the left side and about two / three inches from the right side. It looks like there might be brackets / supports behind the LCD panel which seem to be showing through in certain cases.

Mainly only visible on white screens, where these small areas seem brighter, especially when looking at an angle.

After about ten minutes, it seems these go away.

Any updates - I would certainly hate for this to get worse...

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.