Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-bl0XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I have fallen in love with my HP Spectre and considering using this with an "Omen accelerator". One of my concerns is whether I can upgrade the ram in this thing. It's at 16gb as of now but I would soon like to get 32gb of ram put into this machine because of the work I will use this for. If I can could I install the ram without voiding the warranty? or would I have to take it to the place I bought it from?

Side question: Sometime in the future, an upgrade to 1tb SSD in this would be amazing but also with concerns on warranty and such.

Any response is a great response thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Happy to have helped. Please accept as Solution as that makes it easier for others to find from a search engine. Don't hesitate to post back if you need additional

help.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Yes it can be upgraded to 32 gigs. See pages 22-26 of the Service Manual here:

Manual

This will not void the warranty although it is not a super easy procedure and involves removing the back cover of the laptop and a metal shield that goes over the RAM modules. 

The Manual says 16 gigs is the max or 2 x 8 gig DDR4-2400 but based on a lot of feedback we know 2 x 16 will work as well. 

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-16GBx2-PC4-19200-SODIMM-260-Pin/dp/B019FRCV9G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=...

The only kind of storage you can use on it is a NVME M.2 SSD which is the fastest kind made. HP actually offers it with up to a 2 TB module so we know it would handle a 1 TB fine and again the warranty will not be affected as long as the upgrade is done properly, i.e. nothing broken. 

The USB-C port accepts charging to the laptop and also carries an "alternate DP" video signal. The Manual does not say it is a Thunderblot port but it likely is. That is important because the Omen Accelerator needs not just any USB-C port but a legitimate Thunderbolt 3 port. So if we can have your exact model number I can trace that down for you before you spend the money on a pricey eGPU. 

Post back with any further questions and please accept as solution if its the info you need. 

HP Recommended

This has to be the best response I have ever gotten on a forum question, thank you so much on your reply

my product model is: Z4Z35UA#ABA

Thank you once again for your amazing response!

HP Recommended

Happy to have helped. Please accept as Solution as that makes it easier for others to find from a search engine. Don't hesitate to post back if you need additional

help.

HP Recommended

And it does have a Thunderbolt 3 port

HP Recommended

Sweet, thank you for your wonderful help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.