Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 (2016)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

I'm using the new HP Spectre x360 laptop and I'm experiencing an annoying issues. Whenever I connect the charger there is a "metallic" noise from the laptop. In a quiet room there is no problem hearing it. Almost sounds like an old mechanical hard drive but more metallic and high pith. I only hear this when the charger is connected

I had the laptop replaced by this but still have the same issues. I have three different original power adapters and I have the same issue with all of them. I have also tried to disable the keyboard baclighting since I read that could cause issues previously.

I don't really want to send this one back too since I think that the third laptop will have the same issue. Mst be others noticing this? Any solution, workaround or clue what is causing this?

Best regards

Johan

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

@Lunkobelix

“I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.”

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same issue.

Different being I have bought 4 hp spectres x360 ... all four do the same thing.

when plugged in and fully charged they make a weird buzzing metallic noise.

I highly doubt that all four are defective, as your hp support on twitter suggested.

I'll be picking up one tomorrow but an i5 version.. I currently have 4 i7 versions and when charging and off or even on and reaches 100% they make a weird buzzing whining noise.

HP Recommended

@op1001

I'm happy to hear that it's not just me beeing crazy or hearing things that no one else can't hear but I'm sorry your laptops do the same. Also, sorry to tell you that I have the Core i5 version.

I really don't know what to do, replacing this another time makes no sense since they probably all have the same issue and sitting and listening to this noise all day long is driving me crazy.

Thanks HP for taking this seriously. I have answered the private message with all the requested information.

HP Recommended

Yeh you are not alone..

I am not sure what HP will do about it

HP Recommended
I am also experiencing this issue
HP Recommended

Similar problem here: When the charger is idle it emits an annoying buzz. However, during charging it is almost silent.

This is especially annoying when charging over night, as it will start buzzing in the middle of the night, as soon as the laptop reaches 100%.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue with mine. It's the 13-w023dx model from Best Buy. I only heard the noise while it's completely powered off but plugged in. As soon as I pressed the power button, the noise stopped.

HP Recommended

@MarkusL81

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and understand that you have an HP Spectre x360 and there seems to be a buzzing noise when the charger is idle. I'd like to help you with this case. 

I recommend you to perform the below steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a solution: 

• Power on the laptop and tap the F10 key repeatedly at startup to get to the BIOS.
  • Use the System Configuration tab. Disable USB Charging  and press the F10 key to save the changes and boot into Windows.

BIOS charging.png

I sincerely hope this stops the buzzing noise. Let me know. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

@MKazi wrote:

@MarkusL81

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and understand that you have an HP Spectre x360 and there seems to be a buzzing noise when the charger is idle. I'd like to help you with this case. 

I recommend you to perform the below steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a solution: 

• Power on the laptop and tap the F10 key repeatedly at startup to get to the BIOS.
  • Use the System Configuration tab. Disable USB Charging  and press the F10 key to save the changes and boot into Windows.

BIOS charging.png

I sincerely hope this stops the buzzing noise. Let me know. Cheers! 🙂

How does disabling a core feature of an expensive product solve issue?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.