Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
If you are having hardware issues with your computer, please, Click here for more information.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp spectre x360 i7
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

I just received my HP Spectre 360 (13-4007na). Its the top end model - i7, 8GB / 512GB  SSD / QHD with Windows 8.1 - 64.

I am noticing that the fan comes on even for basic web browsing activity. All you need to do to get the fan started is load 4 to 5 tabs on a mainstream news site (like theguardian). This can be consistently reproduced. 

More details

- I am using Chrome as my browser. 

- I have installed all the recommended Windows updates (400mb+)

- The machine is brand new. So there is no question of dust etc.

- My room temperature is quite low - about 12 C

- I installed speedfan, one of the temperature sensors reads 60 C after opening about 5 tabs

- The fan stays on for several seconds at a time, starting up again when you open new pages

- The fan is quite loud and very distracting.

This is very disappointing and  is a deal breaker for what is presented as a "premium" ultrabook model.  None of the online reviews seems to mention this. Just wondering if its just a issue with my machine.

Would very much appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

hkm.

56 REPLIES 56
HP Recommended

I just got my computer today and I am noticing the same problem. However, no one else seems to be having the same problem I suppose? My computer's specs are almost similar, i7, 8gb ram, 256ssd with FHD screen. I don't know if we should try calling HP and try and get a replacement or hear what other people have to say? What do you think?

HP Recommended

i literally just bought the same laptop(256SSD INSTEAD) and after the first charge the fan has been nonstop and the bottom is hot. im thinking about tsking it back, didnt want a problem laptop.

HP Recommended

Hi, I just replaced my  Spectre X360 ( Intel core I5 and 4GB) with the highest Spectre configuration that I just have for 5 days.

I have exactly the same problem....the fan is like always on and I cannot work with such noise.

I have to say the I5 model was not making such noise...I wanted to get the Highest configuration and gave back the model to get this one.. but if I knew it would make such noise, no way!

I really hope the HP team will work something on this. Buying the highest premium HP Spectre with at 1700€ and having such feedback is really disapointing!

Hope this additionnal comment will help .

Ronan

HP Recommended

I am experiencing the exact same problem. I have the i5 model, Full HD with a 512GB SSD.

I think we should call HP and see what they say. I'll call them tomorrow and report back. I hope you all do the same.

If it's common and there's nothing planned to resolve, I will return this. 

HP Recommended

I have this too. Honestly, I suspect Chrome. It is infamous for eating system resources.

HP Recommended

For a machine like this, it should be able to handle moderate Chrome usage.

I'm surprised to find that this is the only thread concerned with this issue. 

HP Recommended

I just got my spectre the other week and I am really just now noticing the fans....I usually have music playing / im flying on a plane / noisy part of town / etc. This was my first time using the laptop in a quite area and good god the fan is annoying. It revved up and down while i was doing google searches about that very topic....which lead me here.

HP Recommended

For me it was "Realtek I2S Audio Background Proc" the cause of the constant fan noise.  Open up "task manager" CTRL-ALT-DEL, then find the process(it was using 40% CPU), kill it. Then go "Startup" tab on same panel and change it's status to "Disabled" so it doesn't load on startup.  If this process is not currently causing a cpu usage problem, find the one.

Not sure it affects the sound of the system, I didn't for me.

Cheers 😉

HP Recommended

Same here. I have an i5 version and the fan kicks in pretty fast.

I stopped using Chrome some time ago and now use the latest IE version.

The fan kicks in even if I have 1 page open. It depends on what's on the page. If there's lots of animations, flash, etc., then the fan will start to kick in.

I have 1 Hyper-V VM and if I run that, the fan kicks in and never stops, even if the VM sits there idle. (Only the OS installed, nothing else is running) 

It gets pretty loud. I go to task manager and the CPU is barely at 10% usage, if that much. 

Pretty annoying...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.