Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre X360 - Model 15-DF0013DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have an HP Spectre X360, model 15-DF0013DX.
I can turn the keyboard backlight off and on using f5 key.  Is there any way to adjust the length of timeout for the keyboard backlight?  Right now, if I turn it on, it stays on always.

I would like to turn the keyboard backlight on with the touch of any key, then turn off after 30 seconds of no use.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@kmshoffman

I no longer have my little Spectre - the following advice might not be relevant to that model.

Restart into BIOS – Set backlit keyboard “always” on or other setting

Restart > while screen blank, repeat ESC key until menu starts

BIOS setup

Advanced > Built-In Device Options >

Scroll down, set Backlit keyboard timeout = Never (or other available setting)

Click back to Main (menu), select Save changes and exit

HP Document on the subject

HP Notebook PCs - Using the Backlit Keyboard

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks @Dragon-Fur.

Tried the BIOS menu.  The problem is, there is no Advandced submenu and after scrolling through all of the submenus, I cannot find anywhere that has a keyboard backlight setting.

Kkmshoffman

HP Recommended

@kmshoffman

Unfortunate.

I am not surprised - the Advanced setting facility is available in the business grade notebooks; consumer grade systems do not provide the same BIOS features. 

Edits / Update / Comments

I agree that a complete method of comparing one system against another would simplify the process of deciding which computer is the "right computer" for the money, for the investment, for the way in which the computer will be used.

In general, in my opinion, the following is true (at this writing):

• Business grade computers cost more.  Know that this is expected.  Consider the worth of the investment as compared to your overall expectations.
  • Business grade computers generally come with a longer (and possibly more inclusive) warranty.
  • Business grade computers are meant to be repaired in the field  and provide more options for upgrades.
  • Business grade computers provide a more robust physical build and provide different (better?) software and tools to configure and maintain the Operating System
  • Business grade computers provide more complete access to the BIOS.  In the case of the current subject, and for those business grade computers with which I have personal experience, this "more complete access" includes the ability to change the time-out in the backlit keyboard.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

HP is there any update to this problem with the VERY EXPENSIVE Spectre x360?

You are losing users once dedicated to HP's line of notebooks.

if this is not fixed soon, i will have to purchase a new replacement and it WILL NOT be an HP product ... EVER again.

Sincerely

HP USER on the fence.

HP Recommended

This is driving me crazy!

One might think this is a small nuisance, but to me, as a programmer, it is a a big issue. I often end up working in dark environments in need of the backlight turned on. When the backlight turns off you must either press a key or touch the touchpad, in the dark, to turn it on again. If you press a key then you end up inserting an unwanted character into the text, and even replacing selected text. If you touch the touchpad the cursor is repositioned to whereever your mouse is pointing at, and you start typing at the wrong position. I always end up fumbling for the shift/ctrl/fn keys...

Please fix this!

Regards,

Roger

HP Recommended

Hello guys..., any news for this issue? Any solution?

Thanks 

HP Recommended

I have same question/issue. Keyboard backlight won't stay on for more than 30sec.  Any updates? Any solution?  I do not have any keyboard backlight settings in BIOS.  My model # is 15t-df100.

HP Recommended

@Ejspeer 

and all

At this writing, the same answer continues to apply.

Backlight timeout control is not available in those computers where the feature to adjust the time setting is absent.

In General

• Commercial / Business computers include the Advanced section in the BIOS (and so include the advanced timeout controls)
  • Consumer grade systems do not include Advanced section in the BIOS (advanced controls not available)
  • Omen Gaming Systems - Omen Control Center controls onboard features  HP OMEN Command Center 

HP Document on the subject

HP Notebook PCs - Using the Backlit Keyboard

Partial Excerpt

Use the backlight on the keyboard in low-light environments.
NOTE: 
Not all HP notebooks have a backlit keyboard. To confirm whether your notebook has a backlit keyboard, go to the HP Customer Support page. Search for your notebook model plus the word specifications. Review the product specifications for your notebook model. To find your notebook model, go to How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number for more information.

If you have a gaming notebook such as an HP OMEN, go to HP OMEN Command Center for more information about the backlit keyboard and other features.

and section

The backlight stays on for only a few seconds

If the backlight stays on for only a few seconds, the backlight timeout setting might need configuring in the BIOS.
NOTE: 
If there is not a setting for the backlight timing in the BIOS, this behavior might not be supported on the notebook. Check your notebook model's product support documentation to confirm support.

What to do?

If you have not yet done so, click the "I have the same question" button next to the original post.  The "Same Question" data counts are collected and the issue is visible to HP.  Does that mean things will change?  Completely unrelated.  The intent is to provide visibility.

Continue to leave your comments which are welcome as long as the content adheres to the 

HP Support Community: Rules of Participation

Note:  

• The actual content, that is, any comments made in your post, are not visible in the "Same Question" data.  For the purposes of the data collected, the concern is assumed to be related to the original post. 
  • If you have something different to ask, and / or you need a response by an Expert, please start your own thread to post your question.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.