kmshoffman
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP Spectre x360 keyboard backlight timout

HP Spectre X360 - Model 15-DF0013DX
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have an HP Spectre X360, model 15-DF0013DX.
I can turn the keyboard backlight off and on using f5 key.  Is there any way to adjust the length of timeout for the keyboard backlight?  Right now, if I turn it on, it stays on always.

I would like to turn the keyboard backlight on with the touch of any key, then turn off after 30 seconds of no use.

6 REPLIES 6
Level 15
Level 15
23,203 22,985 1,977 7,267
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@kmshoffman

I no longer have my little Spectre - the following advice might not be relevant to that model.

Restart into BIOS – Set backlit keyboard “always” on or other setting

Restart > while screen blank, repeat ESC key until menu starts

BIOS setup

Advanced > Built-In Device Options >

Scroll down, set Backlit keyboard timeout = Never (or other available setting)

Click back to Main (menu), select Save changes and exit

HP Document on the subject

HP Notebook PCs - Using the Backlit Keyboard

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
kmshoffman
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks @Dragon-Fur.

Tried the BIOS menu.  The problem is, there is no Advandced submenu and after scrolling through all of the submenus, I cannot find anywhere that has a keyboard backlight setting.

Kkmshoffman

0 Kudos
Level 15
Level 15
23,203 22,985 1,977 7,267
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@kmshoffman

Unfortunate.

I am not surprised - the Advanced setting facility is available in the business grade notebooks; consumer grade systems do not provide the same BIOS features. 

Edits / Update / Comments

I agree that a complete method of comparing one system against another would simplify the process of deciding which computer is the "right computer" for the money, for the investment, for the way in which the computer will be used.

In general, in my opinion, the following is true (at this writing):

• Business grade computers cost more.  Know that this is expected.  Consider the worth of the investment as compared to your overall expectations.
  • Business grade computers generally come with a longer (and possibly more inclusive) warranty.
  • Business grade computers are meant to be repaired in the field  and provide more options for upgrades.
  • Business grade computers provide a more robust physical build and provide different (better?) software and tools to configure and maintain the Operating System
  • Business grade computers provide more complete access to the BIOS.  In the case of the current subject, and for those business grade computers with which I have personal experience, this "more complete access" includes the ability to change the time-out in the backlit keyboard.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
0 Kudos
Ranger2019
Level 2
5 5 0 10
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP is there any update to this problem with the VERY EXPENSIVE Spectre x360?

You are losing users once dedicated to HP's line of notebooks.

if this is not fixed soon, i will have to purchase a new replacement and it WILL NOT be an HP product ... EVER again.

Sincerely

HP USER on the fence.

AngusThermopyle
1 1 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is driving me crazy!

One might think this is a small nuisance, but to me, as a programmer, it is a a big issue. I often end up working in dark environments in need of the backlight turned on. When the backlight turns off you must either press a key or touch the touchpad, in the dark, to turn it on again. If you press a key then you end up inserting an unwanted character into the text, and even replacing selected text. If you touch the touchpad the cursor is repositioned to whereever your mouse is pointing at, and you start typing at the wrong position. I always end up fumbling for the shift/ctrl/fn keys...

Please fix this!

Regards,

Roger

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3Dlands
Level 1
5 3 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello guys..., any news for this issue? Any solution?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation