Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13.3 2018
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I recently got a new Spectre x360 13.3" (2018 model) and noticed a very weird movement of the trackpad, in the lower part of it, as it has a lot of slack/play.

Each time I touch it, due to amount of slack it has in the lower part, it makes an annoying clicking noise.

Here is a video of the noise it makes: https://youtu.be/jBUycDbdkyY

Model: 13-ae000nq

ProdID: 2PF62EA#AKE

Is this a hardware defect or is this how the thing is designed to work? I need to know if I am to keep the laptop or return it, because the noise is annoying.

It's such unfortunate that for such an expensive laptop you have to go through these issues from the moment you open the box 😞

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hey @EQUANT,

Yep, this is normal. You might be accustomed to using the more common TouchPad, versus this ClickPad. On a ClickPad, there are no distinct mouse buttons, so the lower half is clickable by pressing (of course you can also click by tapping, but if you need to press and hold one of the mouse buttons, it's useful to be able to click that way). It might take some getting used to.

There are some multi-finger gestures, customizable options and other features on ClickPads that you might enjoy. Here's a document to learn more: HP Notebook PCs - Using and Configuring the ClickPad

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I checked out another laptop in the store (hp envy) with similar trackpad and it doesnt have the play/slack in the lower part.

Ok, I understand that there are clickable buttons there, but there is a big play when you slightly press on it, which makes the noise.

Check out my video.

HP Recommended

Returned the laptop, asking for a new one. The store instead gave me my money back, without even consulting with me.

As I got the thing at a discount, won't be able to buy a new one for the same price.

HP Recommended

The loose trackpad is NOT normal - I take issue with the HP employee chat room monitor who says it is normal.  If you bought a Yugo and the steering wheel wobbled, it's one thing - but if you buy a Mercedes and the steering wheel wobbles - it's unacceptable.  A $2K USD machine is not a $300 USD machine. The trackpad **IS** the steering wheel on this system!   When a manufacturer lowers their standards because of a hard to make part, they need some course corrective action from management who's mission statement is deliver a quality product to the customer at a good value.  I had the same issue you describe on my 15.6" 2018 x360 (15t-ch000), took a video of what is going on, sent that video to the repair 1st level in India - they said it should NOT be that way because their standard unit doesn't have the rattle.  Then it was escalated to the 2nd level (US) person who said it was OK - nothing wrong.  I then contacted the his manager (Chuck) who oversees escalations employees  in New Mexico, who took my video and showed it to the Spectre product engineer in Texas (Anthony N.) who said it should not be doing that and told them to replace it.  The unit I had the problem with ONLY had the looseness on the right side (left side was like my 2 previous years Spectre x360s).  I got a replacement today, and on the replacement BOTH sides have the loose fit / wobble problem.  I've spoken personally with Anthony before on pre-sales advice (I'm an engineer also) -- he's a very wise man with a good head on his shoulders.  It would be most helpful if the HP staff member who lurkes here would contact Anthony N. in Texas (email me for his full name if you can't figure out which Anthony N. I'm talking about) - then close the loop by identifying the serial numbers that were affected and issuing a recall & manufacturing fix.   Saying "that's normal" isn't the solution.  HINT - the problem is because the machined surfaces where the 3 lugs on the trackpad mount to the chassis are not being cut deep enough, resulting in the trackpad being recessed too far down in the chassis.  The case mfgr needs to check their tooling, calibration, and cutter wear.   the first units (feb 2018) didn't have this issue - seems to have started around March, and is getting worse in May.

HP Recommended

@EQUANT @efbasham

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi Kevin,

my laptop has the same problem. Is there any way for me to get it fixed?

HP Recommended

@robschmok

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.