Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Back in September 2015 I bought an HP Spectre x360 which I was very impressed with until...

In August I was using my HP Spectre x360 and I had a warning saying that the battery was low. I then plugged the charger into my laptop and continued to browse. My laptop switched off and I thought I must not have turned the plug switch on, so after checking that I had in fact done so, the laptop would no longer charge. No charging light, no nothing. I borrowed my friends charger and still it wouldn’t charge. After researching I tried a number of things such as a BIOS reset and many other suggestions that I found on the HP forum.

I gave up and thought I would have to take it to repair when I could afford to do so. After finding another post, where it was reportedly a failed motherboard, HP repaired the customer’s laptop even though it was well out of warranty.

I’m wondering if anyone could suggest anything else to me as I’m wondering if it’s a motherboard issue also.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

@SMatthews95

Welcome to HP Forums,

Let's get straight to it!

Have you attempted to connect the device to an alternate power cord or adapter?

Or check with another wall outlet, excluding any surge protectors to check if it works?

While you respond to that, here's  the best way to resolve the issue, using the HP Guided Troubleshooter: 

CLICK HERE FOR STEP BY STEP GUIDE

(simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

If the above doesn't help or the steps are insufficient, check the below steps:

Let's start with a hard reset of your notebook computer before you try any other troubleshooting steps.

Reasons for a hard reset

A hard reset has the following effects:

• Clears the memory.

• Reestablishes the connection between the BIOS and the hardware

The following conditions can be helped by the hard reset:

• Windows stop responding.

• The display suddenly goes blank.

• The computer does not wake from sleep or hibernate modes.

• Software applications freeze or fail to respond.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

If you've already done everything mentioned above, I"m afraid you are right, this could be a motherboard failure and the best thing to do now is to make use of the instruction I've sent via the private message:

check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, using the blue envelope: 

Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Forums

Keep me posted, as I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, only in case you don't get back to us, first! 

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us, and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for coming back to me.

I think it’s pretty obvious this is a malfunction that has affected many of the HP Spectre x360 2015/2016 model users and is due to faulty motherboards.

I’ve spotted many other posts claiming that HP admitted fault for the motherboards, and repaired them free of charge even if over a year had passed since warranty expiration. Why didn’t they just do a recall?.  I tried everything you have listed and now it looks like The only solution is to have it repaired. I’ve seen costs for replacing a motherboard in excess of £500. It looks like I will have to buy a new laptop and I don’t think I can trust getting one from HP again.

Loved this laptop until this happened.

thanks

sam

HP Recommended

@SMatthews95

Thank you for responding,

I understand your concern and would love to help you,

however, the instructions to help you sort this out, can't be shared in public due to HP's privacy statement: Click here to learn more.

That said, please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, using the blue envelope: 

Click here for more details on how to access the private messages on HP Forums

I hope your day gets better, good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem. Went to turn on my laptop this morning and noticed the charging LED was not lit even though it was plugged in, the laptop was unresponsive and would not power on. We have two identical computers in the house, I swapped power cords and quickly  determined the power cord is fine. The problem is with the laptop and happened suddenly. I purchased the laptop in January 2017 and worked fine until now.  Based on the number of reports I see here, HP should be making every effort to repair or replace the faulty laptops for their customers. 

HP Recommended

@Hearo1,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Support Community,

In this scenario, I would personally suggest you can contact our HP support team for available service related options.

HP support team can be reached on www.hp.com/contacthp

I'm sure they should be able to go ahead and address your issue. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you.

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue. My laptop froze and was unresponsive so I tried turning it off but couldn't get it to turn back on. I called HP support and they walked me through multiple reboot attempts yet none of them worked. Their only solution was charging me 500+ dollars for a motherboard repair. It's not even a 2 year old laptop- it was purchased in June of 2017! After, I tried turning it on again and the fans finally started up and the screen lit up but was just a blank black screen. That's all it will show now. Not sure what to do next- I was a huge fan of the HP Spectre before this happened but now I'm not sure I trust the brand anymore. Really dissapointed because this was my favorite computer. I'm also losing really important data along with it if I can't find a way to get it fixed for cheaper in time. 

HP Recommended

Hi @James_44

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

If you wish to help to community grow, you may simply select “Accept as Solution” and hit the thumbs up to say thanks for my efforts.

Have a good day ahead.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@asmita6658 wrote:

Hi @James_44

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

If you wish to help to community grow, you may simply select “Accept as Solution” and hit the thumbs up to say thanks for my efforts.

Have a good day ahead.

I am really not sure how to proceed with this. My son purchased this laptop for my granddaughter in the US for her Christmas 2018. It failed just after the warranty expired. She planned to take it back at Easter so he could take it back toi the store where it was purchased but the catch 22 is of course that airport security will not allow a laptop that will not power up to be carried through security. So she is stuck with a broken laptop. My son is very unhappy that he has paid out so much for something that failed so completely within such a short time. Is there something that can be done in this situation?

Thank you in anticipation.

David Stevens
HP Recommended

My Spectre x360 just did the exact same thing today. It won't turn on, no lights when I plug it in (and I've tried 2 different chargers). Doing a hard reset by holding the power button does nothing -- it's completely unresponsive. I would appreciate you putting HP support in touch with me as well.

Hopefully they will stand by their product and replace the faulty motherboard out of warranty, given how widespread the issue is. Otherwise I'll just avoid HP completely from here on out. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.