Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

HP Split 13 X2  Ultrabook - Windows 8.1 (64 Bit)

I have an HP Split x2 Ultrabook that I purchased a month or so ago.

I upgraded to Windows 8.1 recently. I have noticed that my touchpad freezes and my cursor no longer works, no matter how many times I click or try to revive it. If I then start using the touch screen, the cursor disappears altogether and does not come back. This happens completely randomly - sometimes every couple of hours, other times more than once an hour. It has nothing to do with how many programs I have open or how often I am using it.

I go to Device Manager to check the mouse/pointer, and it says the device is working correctly. It also says all available updates have been installed.

Most of the times I have to shut my computer and wait for about 30 seconds before opening it, and then the mouse will reappear. But the problem surfaces again after sometime...I am fedup with restarting my laptop everytime.

Kindly help

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I’ve recently been using a Split 13t x2 that has the same problem and the following seems to correct the issue.

Open windows Control Panel and open Device Manager.  Expand ‘Universal Serial Bus controllers’ and you should find 2 entries for ‘Generic USB Hub’.  Right click the 1st one and select Properties, then select the Power Management tab and remove the tick from the box ‘Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power’.  Click Ok to save this setting. 

Do the same for the 2nd ‘Generic USB Hub.

When done, restart the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

I’ve recently been using a Split 13t x2 that has the same problem and the following seems to correct the issue.

Open windows Control Panel and open Device Manager.  Expand ‘Universal Serial Bus controllers’ and you should find 2 entries for ‘Generic USB Hub’.  Right click the 1st one and select Properties, then select the Power Management tab and remove the tick from the box ‘Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power’.  Click Ok to save this setting. 

Do the same for the 2nd ‘Generic USB Hub.

When done, restart the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hello,

I am having the same problem with my Split Ultrabook. 

However, I have tried the recommendations of uncheck the two boxes but the problem persists.

It was fine immediately after unchecking the boxes but it still freezes and disappears.

Help! I like this computer.

HP Recommended
Thanks a ton! I have been using my laptop now for a week after making the changes you suggested, and I do not any more facing the issue.
HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and good to hear it's Ok :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I have tried all the fixes listed here and elsewhere with no success.  I have discovered a quick and easy recovery of my cursor; simply press the F12 key (toggles airplane mode on and off) and the cursor reappears. 

HP Recommended

Unchecking power management does not work in my case.  Toggling airplane mode on and off does work but is there a permanent solution?  This is getting annoying; I have to toggle f12 evry few minutes while using this laptop

HP Recommended

Hey Guys ,

With all due respect this is one of the worst problems with which I have been suffering for a year now. Tried updating all drivers, also tried the power management trick but the mouse just crawls. Feel like I need a bus to move it!!

Would appreciate if you did have a solution. My guess is it should lie with the touchpad driver as it is the mouse that keeps disappearing and the task manager processes are through the roof. The CPU, Memory and Disk literaly do the Jig and even go up to 99% usage on occasion.

Tried HP Support but they clean up temporary folder which will do nothing for the problem. Even they are baffled. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I1S

HP Recommended

I recently downloaded the new synaptics driver update and the disappearing cursor problem has been greatly reduced.  Howevr, I still need to press the f12 key occasionaly to have the cursor re-appear.   The update would not install through Windows update but I was able to download through device manager.   I also had a problem with my X2 Split with running extrememly slow and jerky like yours and after two trips to support it turned out I had a bad mother board which was replaced under warranty.

HP Recommended

I tried suggested fixes here - update drivver (told me I had the most current), F12 on/off; and Device Manager - disallow power management. Nothing helped. Very frustrating - HP pllease post a fix.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.