Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Stream 11-d020nr
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Last night I was confronted by a family member about an HP Stream 11 that I had purchased for them not powering on. They explain that they had opened the lid, and pushed the power button as normal. However, nothing showed on the screen, so they assumed the notebook was dead and went to charge it. The notebook still displayed nothing on the screen.

This was the point where they came to me looking for a solution and I notice the light on the power button symbol is flashing. I press a few keys, waiting to see any sign of life, but there was none that came. I ended up holding down the power button to hard shutdown the machine and it turned off. I then proceed to click the button, to no avail. I told them to keep charging the device and I would mess with it today, as I assumed that it was a battery issue.

Today the notebook still is not booting at all. I've noticed that when plugged in, the charging light - a dot right next to the cord input - is not even lit. This light will not light up no matter what outlet I plug the charging adapter in. Because of this, I suspect the issue may be worse and might be a motherboard problem, but I have no sure answer or way of finding an answer. I proceed to search Google to find solutions to my problem, only one forum post I've found and it was to hold the power button for 8 seconds and see if it would boot afterwards. That solution did not work. I am hoping that by posting here on the HP forums, I will get some swift advice on how I can go about resolving this issue, and if needed, sending the computer out for repair. 

This computer was bought sometime in November 2014 and was kept to the factory settings, that is no UEFI changes, or operating system changes. The OS it runs is Windows 8.1 with Bing. No devices, drivers, or updates was done beforehand as far I am concerned.

Thank you for your time in reading and assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @RyanNeedsHelp 

Thank you for your reply.

As you have ruled out the adapter as the cause it could be the port on the notebook.

Please contact HP support for assistance with this.  The link is in my previous post.

Have a great weekend!

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi @RyanNeedsHelp 

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy:

It is a fantastic place to find answers and information.
For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide Learn How to Post and More

I grasp that your Stream 11 notebook will not power on.  When you connect the power adapter the small light is not lit.

You have tried multiple outlets to no avail.

If that small light is not lit it indicates that it is not receiving power.

I suggest you test the AC adapter itself.

Using and Testing the AC Power Adapter

If you determine it is the adapter at fault please contact HP support for assistance.  As you should be in warranty and they advise of the next step.

Please call our technical support at 800 474 6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get a support number for your region.

World Wide Phone Support

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for responding! I can verify that it is not the power adapter at fault, as I can plug it into any other HP notebook around and it would charge that machine.

HP Recommended

Hi @RyanNeedsHelp 

Thank you for your reply.

As you have ruled out the adapter as the cause it could be the port on the notebook.

Please contact HP support for assistance with this.  The link is in my previous post.

Have a great weekend!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended
I don't know how long ago this post was made but I'm having the same issues now with my daughters computer. It has not been turned on in a month and was bough 5-20-15. Did you ever resolve the issue and if so how?
HP Recommended

Hi @Armywifetn,

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide:

Learn How to Post and More.

I grasp that your daughter's Stream 11 will not power on.   If you have tried a different adapter and  connecting directly into an electrical outlet( not into a power bar) and it still does not power on, please contact HP support for assistance.

You stated you purchased it 5/20/15 so I believe you are still in warranty. With your permission they can establish a remote connection to help overcome issues or provide service options if applicable.

Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support.

Please let me know the outcome.

Thank you  for participating in the HP Forums! We want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue as yourself. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as   "Accept as Solution"   to help other community  members!

To show appreciation for my efforts, please click the   Thumbs Up icon   below.  

Sparkles1

HP Recommended
So I bought my HP Stream back in February 2015. I have never had issues with my HP. A month ago I moved and packed up my laptop. I just finally found the box it was packed in yesterday. I went to power it on and it wouldn't turn on. I found it odd since I packed it with a full battery and properly shut down.

So I got my power cord and plugged in my laptop. And it turned on. It went to a black screen with a message that the internal battery met its capacity and that I may want to replace the battery. It says that it is plugged in but not getting a charge. If I unplug it. It has no power and will not turn on. I don't understand how or why this happened. It was fine before I packed it up.

Is there anything I can do other than calling on my warranty and sending it in?
HP Recommended

Hi @ermurray90,

It is a grand site to find answers and suggestions!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide:

Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that you were moving, so you  packed up your notebook  with a fully charged battery and properly turned off.

When you unpacked it after the move, it would not power on with battery power. You connected it to power and when you turned it on a black screen appeared with the  message that the internal battery met its capacity and that I may want to replace the battery. It shows connected, but not charging.

Here is a link to  HP Notebook PCs - Battery Does Not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge.

Should the battery require replacement please contact HP support as notebooks generally have a year of warranty.

Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support

Please let me know the outcome.

Thank you  for participating in the HP Forums! We want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue as yourself. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as   "Accept as Solution"   to help other community  members!

To show appreciation for my efforts, please click the   Thumbs Up icon   below.  

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended
I read the link. How do I remove the battery if its an internal batter. I tried taking the screws oout of the bottom but the bottom did not come off
HP Recommended

Hi @ermurray90,

Thank you for the update.

I understand that you were unable to remove the battery as it is internal.    Here is a link to the  HP Stream Notebook PC (model numbers 11-r000 through 11-r099), Maintenance and Service Guide. Chapter 5 has removal and replacement procedures.  I am not sure of the  model of Stream 11 you have so if this is not for your model please provide yours.

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

As the battery is internal I am not sure if removing it would affect your warranty. Please contact HP support to verify if removing  the battery would affect your warranty.

Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support

Please keep me updated.

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.