Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Zbook 17 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

There is no reason to lock your customers in, especially in todays world.  We shouldn't be creating tech junk when older gen computers work well and could continue to work well with upgrades.

The problem, especially with WWAN cards, is you limited whitelist in the bios.  I mean, this is stupid, there is no reason I shouldn't be able to upgrade to Cat 7 or up to enjoy faster and stronger LTE internet on my laptop without having to buy a whole new one.

If you won't consider removing the whitelist all together, at least push bios updates on older system that will allow later model HP brand compatible accessories.  It's really not OK to continue down this path of forced obsolescence.

It's not good for the environment, it's not a good look for your company (especially a pc maker) and I doubt this policy is helping you drive additional sales.  I imagine it's driven a lot of knowledgeable buyers away.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I recommend that you post your concerns directly with the HP executive team, at the link below since this is a peer to peer forum.

https://ssl.www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/connect-with-hp.html

I also suggest you familiarize yourself with the legal requirements to SAR test wireless equipment in most notebook PC's.

A whitelist is one way of preventing the installation of untested wireless equipment--especially cellular devices, which my exceed the safe SAR threshold.

https://apps.fcc.gov/kdb/GetAttachment.html?id=u%2BFlQhsdXkOhbjYvIX0peA%3D%3D&desc=616217%20D04%20SA...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

I recommend that you post your concerns directly with the HP executive team, at the link below since this is a peer to peer forum.

https://ssl.www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/connect-with-hp.html

I also suggest you familiarize yourself with the legal requirements to SAR test wireless equipment in most notebook PC's.

A whitelist is one way of preventing the installation of untested wireless equipment--especially cellular devices, which my exceed the safe SAR threshold.

https://apps.fcc.gov/kdb/GetAttachment.html?id=u%2BFlQhsdXkOhbjYvIX0peA%3D%3D&desc=616217%20D04%20SA...

HP Recommended

Thanks for the link, I'll do that.

As for SAR, sure sounds likely.  But we should be able to use newer branded HP cards that have already gone through this testing. 

Also, in the second page ...

"Transmitters certified as modules may be incorporated in qualified laptop and tablet hosts without the
need for further equipment approval by using the “modular approach” "

All these devices are playing in their own frequency lanes, the card makers build them to pass these tests and there isn't much of a difference between laptops that would throw these requirements off.   They all meet the requirements and use the correct cables for antennas from brand to brand.

Is HP even required to force requirements like this after the sale is made?  If an end user mods a system, it's not like HP is held liable and out of compliance. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I agree with you 100%.

The thing we don't know is how HP does this evaluation...with each specific device and antenna configuration in a specific model notebook, therefore limiting the amount of devices they test, or if they do modular testing...test the antennas separately and test the devices separately and if they pass separately then they can be used anywhere.

I doubt the differences would be substantial, but that is the only reason I can think of why HP restricts WWAN cards, and not WLAN cards.  I believe the requirements to test WWAN may be more stringent.

Most HP notebooks made after 2014 do not have BIOS whitelists for wifi.

I have an old HP 350 G1 (Intel 4th gen core) from 2014, and it came with a Broadcom dual band N card.

I upgraded it to an Intel 7260 AC card with no problem.

Any HP notebook made in 2011 or earlier has a whitelist, and then from 2012 - 2013 there were some models that didn't.

I think with WWAN, they still have the whitelists in effect, but they don't release any of that info. 

Wireless upgrades are all trial and error, and we depend on forum member reports of success or failure.

HP Recommended

I tried the HP Lt4210 FIBOCOM L850-GL HSPA+ in my Zbook 17 G3 and that did not work.

I have an L860 in the mail and I found a guide for Sierra/Lenovo combo for putting the card in dev mode and changing the product ID to something the BIOS would accept.  I'm going to see if I can adapt it for these Fibocom cards, if not I might try the Sierra 7455.

Thanks for your help!

HP Recommended

Anytime.  Glad to have been of assistance.

That would be great if you could trick the BIOS into accepting the card.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.